cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default At 7:30 two sisters from the ward

will arrive at my house. They will gossip and visit, and will call this "visiting teaching."

I will be shooting hoops with my son. I will call this "running and not being weary."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
will arrive at my house. They will gossip and visit, and will call this "visiting teaching."

I will be shooting hoops with my son. I will call this "running and not being weary."
I really hate the whole visiting teaching thing. I don't like being visited, and I don't like visiting. I don't feel uplifted by the 30 minutes of gossip and the 30 second obligatory lesson.

I have since been assigned new sisters, but the last time my former visiting teachers "came over" in December, it was the day after my last final and 2 days before we were leaving to go to my folks' for Christmas. (Note: I had TOLD them the 5-day window that would have been best for them to visit me... but oh, well). One sister just didn't show up and the other one was 45 minutes late, thrust a brownie mix into my hands and said, "Oops! Can't come in! I'm running late! Hope you had a good month!"

I stood there flabbergasted, and told her, "Oh, this last month was one of the worst months of my life, but you have a great day and I'll talk to you later!" She looked slightly stunned as I shooed her out of my entryway.

The brownies, incidentally, were a $7 gourmet mix, so all was not lost!
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
I really hate the whole visiting teaching thing. I don't like being visited, and I don't like visiting. I don't feel uplifted by the 30 minutes of gossip and the 30 second obligatory lesson.

I have since been assigned new sisters, but the last time my former visiting teachers "came over" in December, it was the day after my last final and 2 days before we were leaving to go to my folks' for Christmas. (Note: I had TOLD them the 5-day window that would have been best for them to visit me... but oh, well). One sister just didn't show up and the other one was 45 minutes late, thrust a brownie mix into my hands and said, "Oops! Can't come in! I'm running late! Hope you had a good month!"

I stood there flabbergasted, and told her, "Oh, this last month was one of the worst months of my life, but you have a great day and I'll talk to you later!" She looked slightly stunned as I shooed her out of my entryway.

Classic.

My wife and her presidency filmed a bunch of skits similar to ones they found on youtube for a VT meeting of some sort. This one would have topped the rest and I thought there were pretty funny.

Unbelievable.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post

There is a pretty simple fix for this.

My neighbors who are inactive have told both the bishop and RS pres. that they have ZERO desire to be home taught by Elders or RS, they do not have either in their home.

Tell the relief society pres. that you DO NOT wish to have visiting teachers at your home, problem solved.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
There is a pretty simple fix for this.

My neighbors who are inactive have told both the bishop and RS pres. that they have ZERO desire to be home taught by Elders or RS, they do not have either in their home.

Tell the relief society pres. that you DO NOT wish to have visiting teachers at your home, problem solved.
This isn't a terribly idea, except the Relief Society assigned my landlady to visit teach me, and I incidentally live in her basement apartment. The awkwardness that would ensue...

P.S. The Relief Society called her to be my visiting teacher because "nobody else could get a hold of me." I laughed when I heard this. My visiting teachers didn't contact me for five months. In May, one of them approached me and asked if they could come visit me the next day. I had to tell her, "Sorry, I'm not available because I'll studying for my last final. Then after I take my last final, I'm leaving almost immediately for Spokane to help take care of my dad, who has cancer. Oh, and count me out for next month because I'm leaving for Paris for a month. Take care!"

But this apparently meant that "they could never get a hold of me." Comical.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote