cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU vs. Wyo in Laramie

1. Have we reached the point where we have to scratch our heads about why K. Collinsworth gets all the minutes ahead of Abuou? Yes I know Charles is a little bit of a head-case. But he also plays better defense, rebounds better, and is a better offensive weapon, not to mention free-throw shooter. You give up a little ball-handling and passing in exchange. Before the season I had heard what a terrific ballplayer Kyle was. Somehow, I had been led to believe that the kid could actually shoot the basketball. I am just stunned that the kid can't shoot at anywhere near a Div 1A level. It's kind of disappointing. He may develop into a ballplayer, but he is far, far, far away from being even half-polished.

2. This is now officially a team that sits around and watches its two best players try to create shots on their own: Jimmer and Davies. They are getting away from team play, motion, assists. I put this on Rose.

3. Glad to see coach expand the rotation a little bit. Magnusson saw the floor. Rodgers briefly saw the floor. You get the impression that if Rodgers makes a single mistake he gets pulled.

4. Jimmer did not have a very good game. He looked slow, tired, non-explosive, not making great decisions. Of course he had some key buckets. Everyone can half an off-game. But that's two games in a row that BYU has played poorly. If Wyoming were better, and not turned the ball over every other time down the floor, they would have won.

5. I think we may be seeing teams that have been watching film, and have picked up ways to better defense BYU. I think that may have a big part in how Emery and Hartsock have disappeared. Where are all those baseline jumpers that Hartsock used to get? Where are the open 3s that Emery used to take? Now Hartsock is taking 3's at the top of the key, and Emery is taking more difficult shots. They are forcing Collinsworth to make decisions on outside shots (which he can't make consistently, to put it kindly). And it's not like Collinsworth is force on the offensive boards either.

6. You almost get the feeling like this team peaked in the SDSU game (which actually, was not a very good game for BYU, but was a great game for Jimmer). Something has changed in their psyche. It's no longer the same team. It sure doesn't have that "team feeling" anymore, looking from the outside. All the coverage has microwaved their brains.

So that's the end of BYU in Laramie in any sport I care about. Can't say I'll miss those folks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Bench KC, start Charles. KC is a liability against Charles in all manners except for ball handling. However, in terms of defense, explosion, offense and free throw shooting, Charles is superior. KC might benefit from resting from the freshman blues.

2. Insert Rodgers more. He has the potential to add offensive punch and has some athleticism to help on defense.

3. Tell Emery to start taking it to the hole, and to look for the outside shot second.

4. Have Jimmer drive earlier in the game, as lay ups and drives tend to get his confidence up, which opens up his outside shot.

5. Work on more motion on offense. We seem to be standing around watching Jimmer and Brandon. That won't get it done. Our entry passes are often slow and late.

6. Demand our defenders move our feet. I know Jimmer is not told to expend energy on defense but last night there were several times Jimmer played matador defense. Not expending and watching your offensive player run straight to the basket are two different things. Jimmer can do that better.

7. Play with excitement. This is the last round through the MWC. Act like it. The guys are sleep walking. We will need real energy against the Rebels who will want revenge.