cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Church Discouraging MySpace?

Mrs. myboynoah tells me that a friend from Utah said that her Bishop read a letter over the pulpit yesterday discouraging (prohibiting?) the use of MySpace by YM/YW. The Bishop then cited an example of bad MySpace behavior by the son of my wife's friend (no names used).

Were similar letters read in your wards or branches? Is this just a Utah or U.S. thing? This type of thing rarely makes it this far to us.

My two daughters are active on MySpace under very strict guidelines. We monitor them pretty closely and it may be time for a "raid" tonight. The 13-year-old is notorious for telling people that want to be her "friend" that they need to clean the profanity and such from their "spaces" in order to qualify for the privilege.

Did anyone else read the Business Week article "My Virtual Life" on multiplayer online virtual life/world games like Second Life? IMO, if MySpace makes you nervous, Second Life will make you poop your pants.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
Mrs. myboynoah tells me that a friend from Utah said that her Bishop read a letter over the pulpit yesterday discouraging (prohibiting?) the use of MySpace by YM/YW. The Bishop then cited an example of bad MySpace behavior by the son of my wife's friend (no names used).

Were similar letters read in your wards or branches? Is this just a Utah or U.S. thing? This type of thing rarely makes it this far to us.

My two daughters are active on MySpace under very strict guidelines. We monitor them pretty closely and it may be time for a "raid" tonight. The 13-year-old is notorious for telling people that want to be her "friend" that they need to clean the profanity and such from their "spaces" in order to qualify for the privilege.

Did anyone else read the Business Week article "My Virtual Life" on multiplayer online virtual life/world games like Second Life? IMO, if MySpace makes you nervous, Second Life will make you poop your pants.
wasn't read at my ward.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

We've received no such letter. Sounds like the sleepover letters we keep hearing about.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

No letter was read in our stake, although our stake YM/YW presidency have agressivley campaigned to have parents closely montior internet use in general anf my soace in particular.

The YM president did one thing very amusing: he went to my space and downloaded a lot of the kids' information from their myspace sites and then shared it in various meetings. Many of the kids were upset that this was shared 'publicly', which then allowed him to make the point that it was exactly what they were doing. Let me just say that this was done more effectively and tactfully than it sounds in this message, but I think you get the idea.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

not read in ours either, but myspace is pretty evil.. i commend you for strict monitoring.. i went on there to check out some sites of people i knew and was surprised at some of the stuff i found..
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

myspace and facebook continue to come up at my job a lot. Haven't heard about them at church though. What people don't realize about these sites is that once you decide to make something public, there are certain opportunity costs. I'm not talking about security, these days there are so many ways to get taken advantage of I don't know that a myspace account seriously worsens the risk. I'm talking about the recent phenomenon of potential employers checking myspace accounts as they attempt to learn more about candidates. I'm talking about graduate schools looking into facebook profiles for info about applicants. And residence halls gathering info from facebook--all informally of course--when sanctions or disciplinary matters come up, particularly related to substance use.

I have a small myspace account and am registered for facebook. But I understand that I am letting people see aspects of me with no control over who's viewing (well, some control with the parameters they let you set).
I'd be real careful about my own kids having accounts if they were teenagers.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I really have no idea what those are, except I monitor them to see that my daughters are behaving.

Jan Ullrich's joke myspace is one of the funniest sites I've visited. If more spaces were like that, it would be worth it.