cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default James E. Faust "The Truth Shall Make You Free"

From the Sept. 1998 Ensign:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...____&hideNav=1

Some excerpts:

As a means of coming to truth, people in the Church are encouraged by their leaders to think and find out for themselves. They are encouraged to ponder, to search, to evaluate, and thereby to come to such knowledge of the truth as their own consciences, assisted by the Spirit of God, lead them to discover.

Brigham Young said: “I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security. … Let every man and woman know, by the whispering of the Spirit of God to themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not” (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [1941], 135). In this manner no one need be deceived.

Searching and inquiring are a means of coming to a knowledge of all truth, whether that truth be spiritual, scientific, or moral. The restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and all that it means to us came about because of the inquiring after truth of the 14-year-old Joseph Smith, guided by the passage, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him” (James 1:5).

Many years of experience in courtrooms have taught me that truth, in the sense of obtaining justice, is arrived at only by questioning in a searching way.

Members of the Church are encouraged to seek learning from all good books and from any helpful source. For “if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things” (A of F 1:13).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

Some excerpts:

As a means of coming to truth, people in the Church are encouraged by their leaders to think and find out for themselves. They are encouraged to ponder, to search, to evaluate, and thereby to come to such knowledge of the truth as their own consciences, assisted by the Spirit of God, lead them to discover.

Brigham Young said: “I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security. … Let every man and woman know, by the whispering of the Spirit of God to themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not” (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [1941], 135). In this manner no one need be deceived.

Searching and inquiring are a means of coming to a knowledge of all truth, whether that truth be spiritual, scientific, or moral. The restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and all that it means to us came about because of the inquiring after truth of the 14-year-old Joseph Smith, guided by the passage, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him” (James 1:5).

Many years of experience in courtrooms have taught me that truth, in the sense of obtaining justice, is arrived at only by questioning in a searching way.

Members of the Church are encouraged to seek learning from all good books and from any helpful source. For “if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things” (A of F 1:13).
The world is worse off without Faust around. Thanks for posting this.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

Some excerpts:

Derision and prejudice are detrimental to the pursuit of knowledge. A purely intellectual or purely spiritual approach to the attainment of knowledge is folly -as the quote you posted so clearly points out.

In my experience you and Solon and others appear to be transfixed by the intellectual approach of the equation … the very act of posting the quote is a method of validating your fascination. Perhaps it is a valid response to a perceived attack on intellectualism by FM. However, I would suggest that such a response is a product of paranoia.

Is it possible that FM’s inquisition is an appeal for more balance, as outlined in Faust’s quote, and not an attack on intellectuals?

Last edited by tooblue; 06-06-2008 at 04:47 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
In my experience you and Solon and others appear to be transfixed by the intellectual approach of the equation …
I may take an intellectual approach to religion - that's how I'm wired. But I don't disparage people who advocate a spiritual or faith-based approach. I only get riled up when people introduce faith into a rational, logical discussion.

You'll notice I post most of my thoughts in the "Religious Studies" category.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I may take an intellectual approach to religion - that's how I'm wired. But I don't disparage people who advocate a spiritual or faith-based approach. I only get riled up when people introduce faith into a rational, logical discussion.

You'll notice I post most of my thoughts in the "Religious Studies" category.
I should not have singled you or any other person out. It is ironic that a standard for this religion forum, as written by James E. Faust, was posted in a religion forum that is imbalanced and mostly focuses only on the intellectual.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I should not have singled you or any other person out. It is ironic that a standard for this religion forum, as written by James E. Faust, was posted in a religion forum that is imbalanced and mostly focuses only on the intellectual.
Those who attack the "intellectual" approach seem fail to present any "alternative" approach.

The Faust article points out the necessity in asking questions. How is a "faith-based" approach different if Faust is describing a faith-based approach?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Derision and prejudice are detrimental to the pursuit of knowledge. A purely intellectual or purely spiritual approach to the attainment of knowledge is folly -as the quote you posted so clearly points out.

In my experience you and Solon and others appear to be transfixed by the intellectual approach of the equation … the very act of posting the quote is a method of validating your fascination. Perhaps it is a valid response to a perceived attack on intellectualism by FM. However, I would suggest that such a response is a product of paranoia.

Is it possible that FM’s inquisition is an appeal for more balance, as outlined in Faust’s quote, and not an attack on intellectuals?
Product of paranoia? "Perceived" attack? Validation? Fixated?

Go play pseudo-shrink somewhere else.

Is there anyone on this board who does more talking down to people than you?

Derision and prejudice are your calling cards (that and a head-in-orifice misunderstanding of Marxism).

James E. Faust happens to be one of my favorite Church leaders. This particular article means alot to me. It also means alot to a Home Teachee I shared it with some years ago.

Take a look through the archive. You'll discover that I quote general authorities and scripture with amazing consistency, and often with complete approbation.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Some examples of you not using derision.

And now I supposedly can't quote James E. Faust without being "ironic."

Physician--heal thy self.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-06-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Those who attack the "intellectual" approach seem fail to present any "alternative" approach.

The Faust article points out the necessity in asking questions. How is a "faith-based" approach different if Faust is describing a faith-based approach?
You are asking a rhetorical question ... Why must you be presented with an alternative, when the alternative is right before you eyes?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
You are asking a rhetorical question ... Why must you be presented with an alternative, when the alternative is right before you eyes?
Another example of toolblue not using derision and not talking down to people.