cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I really don't like this move....

the Jazz are making....

First things first, why you give Harpring the contract they gave him makes no sense. Dude has bad knees, can't defend on the perimeter anymore, is a mediocre shooter, but has an overall solid game. The Jazz are infatuated with 'good' guys and I can see why LHM would overpay for a solid dude, but this contract is insane, no way Harp gets close to that contract anywhere else in the league. (it reminds me of the AK deal, no way dude gets the max from another team, he might have gotten 70 mil, but no way he would have gotten the max)

Second issue, Fisher is 32, has 4 years left that will pay him around 7 mil a year and plays the same position that a rookie last year handled great when given the opportunity. The Jazz address perimeter D, athleticism, and a future back up point in the draft, they already have a solid player in CJ who needs only time to develop, and now they stunt the growth of these players. It makes no sense.

I am real frustrated right now, holy cow...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
TyronneBiggums

TyronneBiggums is on a distinguished road

I agree totally. The only think that I like about Fisher is his ability to shoot the 3 as well as his veteran leadership. Hopefully he can be a guy to play alongside Deron.

I am hoping that the Jazz can move Giracek as well to give some of the younger guys an opportunity to play as well. I just pray to all that is that they don't screw Ronnie Brewer up.
TyronneBiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I don't understand this move either. He's got a big contract. Fisher is a solid PG and was clutch on many occasions for the Lakers, but I don't get what the Jazz are trying to do. Who runs the point now? Deron or Derek? Or do the Jazz use Deron as kind of a combo guard and let DFish run the point like Illinois did with Dee Brown?

I know the Lakers were rumored to be interested in his services again but his contract and age were an issue.

There will always be a place in my heart for Derek Fisher with his 0.4 second game winner against the Spurs.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
the Jazz are making....

First things first, why you give Harpring the contract they gave him makes no sense. Dude has bad knees, can't defend on the perimeter anymore, is a mediocre shooter, but has an overall solid game. The Jazz are infatuated with 'good' guys and I can see why LHM would overpay for a solid dude, but this contract is insane, no way Harp gets close to that contract anywhere else in the league. (it reminds me of the AK deal, no way dude gets the max from another team, he might have gotten 70 mil, but no way he would have gotten the max)

Second issue, Fisher is 32, has 4 years left that will pay him around 7 mil a year and plays the same position that a rookie last year handled great when given the opportunity. The Jazz address perimeter D, athleticism, and a future back up point in the draft, they already have a solid player in CJ who needs only time to develop, and now they stunt the growth of these players. It makes no sense.

I am real frustrated right now, holy cow...
I couldn't disagree more.

Bringing on a player like Derek Fisher is actually a shrewd move. It will in fact HELP a young guys like CJ Miles, Dee Brown and Deron Williams. How it would not help them grow defies logic. Having a solid winning veteran that everyone respects, that has a penchant for hitting clutch shots, and is a solid professional to the core is a very positive thing for this young club.

Same with Harpring. The Jazz have 2 solid veteran leaders that are respected.

The Jazz win 50 games next season. That's a good improvement considering how young they still are.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
There will always be a place in my heart for Derek Fisher with his 0.4 second game winner against the Spurs.
I remember that shot. To this day I cannot be convinced that he got that 18 foot(or so) jumpshot off and made it in .4 seconds.