cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default NBA is here!!!

Woohoo. This is the best time for sports in the world. College football and the NFL are in full swing. NHL is going and the NBA has begun. And Sportscenter is no longer Baseball Tonight.

Go Lakers.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 AM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Woohoo. This is the best time for sports in the world. College football and the NFL are in full swing. NHL is going and the NBA has begun. And Sportscenter is no longer Baseball Tonight.

Go Lakers.
NBA's here and it's as unwatchable as ever. I turn on to check out the Jazz and see the same old boring free throw fest.

I have plenty of rule suggestions to make international soccer a better game. Here's a rule suggestion for basketball: instead of shooting free throws, just give the team two points. It will end the most boring aspect of the game, and clean up all the fouls.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
NBA's here and it's as unwatchable as ever. I turn on to check out the Jazz and see the same old boring free throw fest.

I have plenty of rule suggestions to make international soccer a better game. Here's a rule suggestion for basketball: instead of shooting free throws, just give the team two points. It will end the most boring aspect of the game, and clean up all the fouls.
The problem isn't the free throws. The problem were the rule changes last year that disallowed handchecking and giving the perimeter players free reign. Wade's parade to the free throw line last year in the playoffs was disgusting. They need to allow the players to play and officials need to suck on their whistles a bit more than blowing them.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

I tend to agree with you on this one. In general I like college sports more than pro. I like attending pro baseball games (attended an Indians home game and a Dodgers game this year) but don't watch a lot on TV. I like watching Pro Football on TV but I've never been to a game. But pro basketball just isn't that fun to watch - either in person or on TV.

I get to several Jazz games a year because our company has Jazz tickets and it's an easy date (I'd rather go to a Jazz game than watch a chick flick or something like that). Even when I go to the game it just seems the same every time. The same half-time acts, the same songs on the P.A. system, the same siren and screaming of "three" every time a 3-pointer is made, the same dancing girls. If you've seen an NBA game in one arena you've seen them all. I wonder if the players get sick of the monotony of it all?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what ya'll are seeing. The NBA is back!! Have a little love. Go Lakers.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post

Go Lakers.

Most pitchers and catchers report to spring training around the middle of February. Position players a week later.

Only 151 days until opening day.

Sweet!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Most pitchers and catchers report to spring training around the middle of February. Position players a week later.

Only 151 days until opening day.

Sweet!
No best time in sports can exist without the presence of baseball.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Along with fans letting their sleeping meds prescriptions lapse because baseball is a more effective sleep aid than all.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Funk and Il Padrino, we need to take a CG trip down to Arizona for Spring Training this year. I have been 4 years in a row now and it is awesome. Great atmosphere, and you will never have a better chance to get that close to the players.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Spring training trips are great fun. I've only been able to do one twice, but I really enjoyed it. If I can work into my hectic life schedule, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, this spring I'm already committed to the family trip of terror to Disneyland - or as the 4 year old calls it, Dizzyland.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 11-02-2006 at 05:29 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote