cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #91
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
To an extent. Without the political threat posed by the Mormons, regardless of their polygamist practices, I doubt very much that Mormons would have ever been a big issue for anyone. The political issues were the timber, and polygamy was the fire. They went hand in hand to operate against Mormons, but nobody would have cared much about polygamy, I think, if Mormons weren't a group they were already terrified of.

Without research we are not going to settle this. We each think the other is over-reaching. The truth is probabyl in the middle.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #92
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
What was it Mark Twain said about polygamy?

"....the Mormon women ... these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures ... the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure - and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #93
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
"....the Mormon women ... these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures ... the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure - and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."
Brother Twain might not share Brother Neeleman's twin towers of barbarity perspective. However, I think I received spiritual confirmation that he would agree with me concerning insufferable asshatitis.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #94
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
As much as I am loathe to egg you on, I recall a very graphic illustration in some periodical of the day showing a black man in chains on one side of the page and a Brigham Young-ish bearded man in a black suit with a gaggle of homely women behind him on the other under the banner headline "The Twin Relics Of Barbarism!"
In the PBS series last year they should exactly this type of drawings from newspapers from the period.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #95
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Wasn't it the norm for girls to marry at fifteen (or even younger) in the mid-1800's? It seems to me the ONLY correlation between the FLDS compound issue & the early-church issue is the polygamy angle.
No, it wasn't normal for teens to marry men in their 30s. I suspect it was frowned on at that time to have sex with girls who were esssentially your foster daughters living in your own household. No, it wasn't normal for men to get away with sending away women's husbands and then proposition them.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #96
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think you just made Mike's case for him.
Care to explain why? I don't follow Mike's logic on this issue.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #97
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
No, it wasn't normal for teens to marry men in their 30s. I suspect it was frowned on at that time to have sex with girls who were esssentially your foster daughters living in your own household.
And you have more than just your opinion to back this up with, I assume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
No, it wasn't normal for men to get away with sending away women's husbands and then proposition them.
Which has, of course, absolutely nothing to do with the comparison between the mid-1800's and now in terms of acceptable 'ages of marriage' for women.

But thanks for playing.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote