cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #91
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The man I knew had been ex'ed for getting blow jobs from women not his wife on business trips. 20 years later he was denied by the First Pres. from becoming a Bishop.
I thought President Clinton helped clarify that blow jobs don't constitute sex.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #92
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The call wasn't actually issued, but it was made clear it was coming in an interview.
Bet he didn't make that mistake twice.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #93
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Bet he didn't make that mistake twice.
Having never been a SP/Bishop, I still would think it might be wise to float the idea before making the call, to get an idea of personal circumstances that I might not know about. It's my understanding that the week before Stake Conference, they call in several "candidates" for interviews.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #94
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Having never been a SP/Bishop, I still would think it might be wise to float the idea before making the call, to get an idea of personal circumstances that I might not know about. It's my understanding that the week before Stake Conference, they call in several "candidates" for interviews.
Well, bishops aren't typically released and called during stake conference, but sure, there is a vetting process. But being a candidate under consideration, and being told you are the prohibitive favorite (and then being told the FP killed it), are two very different things.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #95
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
It's my understanding that the week before Stake Conference, they call in several "candidates" for interviews.
Not necessarily. I suspect this varies significantly from stake to stake.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #96
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Well, let me clarify. The tone of ER's post suggested to me that he meant present tense (someone who is currently disfellowshipped). Assuming that the person has repented and been fully reinstated, then with rare exception I have no problem with them serving in leadership.

We've been over this already. The church does not notate previous transgressions on local unit records once the term of discipline is complete. Ask any ward clerk. This is no great secret.
It has been a while since I have seen a membership record, but, I don't recall ever reading one with a notation describing a past transgression. There were some records that were flagged with a notation asking the bishop to contact SLC for information regarding an individual's membership status. I don't know all the transgressions the Church leaders have determined to warrant anotations on a membership record, but, I know for sure that transgressions against children warrant an anotation.

The Church has to be very careful, in particular now with all the sex abuse litigation and more importantly, to protect our children, to not allow individuals with past transgressions against children to serve in callings, including leadership positions in the primary and YM/YW. The only way a bishop can identify such an individual is for membership records to be flagged. Individuals are made aware that their records will be flagged, to protect children from harm and them from being put in situations that may lead them to transgress again. I recall an individual going through the repentance process until his blessings were restored many years after the transgression. Although the individual was allowed to return to full fellowship in the Church, he was told he would not be able serve in callings involving children and that his record would be flagged. I assume most on this board would not have any problems with such an individual's record being flagged.

Cougarobgon
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote