cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #191
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Hardly any excommunicated members come

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
bar, are more or less missionaries being sent home prematurely?

Also, does the Church's policy of disafellowship over excommunication for disavowed missionaries really keep them in the Church, or do they fall away anyway?
back.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 AM   #192
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As I said, I think this is an extremely one-dimensional approach that the Brethren do not share.

Also, what evidence do we have that the bar is actually being lowered? Clarifying misunderstandings about the standard does not count.

I think that realization was already in place, and that's why the bar was raised in the first place.

I think you're conflating a budding testimony with transgression. To the first: no one is suggesting kids need to have the New Testament memorized to enter missionary service. They just need to be comfortable with the fundamentals of the gospel. Read Preach My Gospel. It's not rocket science in there.

To the second: everyone wants young people who have transgressed to repent and be made clean, they just don't want them undergoing that process while serving a full-time mission. DallasDan's comment is echoed by Ballard: "The day of the 'repent and go' missionary is over. You know what I’m talking about, don’t you, my young brothers? Some young men have the mistaken idea that they can be involved in sinful behavior and then repent when they’re 18 1/2 so they can go on their mission at 19."

I had never known what the "Shocker" was until I was in the MTC. We had this missionary in my district who was from SLC and he was talking about past transgressions of him and others, and he described to us vividly how to perform it.

Last edited by BYUTexan; 01-21-2008 at 06:28 AM.
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote