cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The purpose of Blacks and the Priesthood ban

must have been that in the latter-days, God wanted to make sure that those people that believed in racial equality would have a negative impression of the church and be less receptive to its message, making the bar for them that much higher.

Very inspired.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-j...i_b_76475.html

The El Jefes of the world have been trying so hard for so long to suppress any conversation about this. And now a tidal wave of negativity may engulf the church.

We have only ourselves to blame.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The El Jefes of the world have been trying so hard for so long to suppress any conversation about this. And now a tidal wave of negativity may engulf the church.

I am seeing a new wrinkle to your persona....melodrama!

I dub this thread..."A Very Special Episode of mikewaters"....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Considering that most Mormons can't tell you much about racism in the church, or Joseph Smith's wives, I think I can safely say that within a matter of months there will be more Mormons and more non-Mormons aware of these issues at least in the form of soundbytes and innuendo, than ever before in history by orders of magnitude.

Ah, the value of innoculation.

You know your shtick was a lot more funny on CB. Too bad it didn't translate very well to this site.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Considering that most Mormons can't tell you much about racism in the church, or Joseph Smith's wives, I think I can safely say that within a matter of months there will be more Mormons and more non-Mormons aware of these issues at least in the form of soundbytes and innuendo, than ever before in history by orders of magnitude.

Ah, the value of innoculation.

You know your shtick was a lot more funny on CB. Too bad it didn't translate very well to this site.
C'mon Mike. Lighten up. that was really pretty good.

Would you rather he just come out and call you a dumb ass.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Was the ban of non-Levitical priesthood holders policy or doctrine?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Was the ban of non-Levitical priesthood holders policy or doctrine?
were they black?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
must have been that in the latter-days, God wanted to make sure that those people that believed in racial equality would have a negative impression of the church and be less receptive to its message, making the bar for them that much higher.

Very inspired.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-j...i_b_76475.html

The tidal wave will engulf because a mormon is in the spotlight for something very important. Therefor comments from dopes like O'Donnell and this Davis jackass get picked up. They have felt that way for a long time, but Mitt running provides them the opportunity to spew their garbage. Yes, it is garbage because of the way they go about spewing it.

You want to make a strong accusation against the church and our beliefs and former beliefs, I have no problem with that. However, do it in a controlled manner or even a humorous manner like they did on South Park.

Filled with anger and hate their opinions are worthless to me. It is emotional speak.

I will agree with you that the church members who love to shut down discussion and put their heads in the sand do us no real favor, but I wouldn't use O'Donell and the Huffington report as evidence of how closure of thought hurts us. They themselves represent closure of thought the other way.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
were they black?
Does it matter? They were being discriminated against.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

That article you posted says nothing, absolutely nothing, that hasn't been said countless times elsewhere.

If you have noticed, attacks on the Church do not really find much success. The Church just keeps growing. So your claims are overblown....as usual. We only have ourselves to blame? What does that mean? Blame for what?

Weren't you one of the people on CB predicting doom when all the MMM stuff was coming to light as a result of that recent movie? So much for that.

I would agree that my stuff on CB is better, because there are more easy targets there. Here, there are really only or two easy targets, so it makes my work tougher. By the way, which IP address are you posting from today?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The tidal wave will engulf because a mormon is in the spotlight for something very important. Therefor comments from dopes like O'Donnell and this Davis jackass get picked up. They have felt that way for a long time, but Mitt running provides them the opportunity to spew their garbage. Yes, it is garbage because of the way they go about spewing it.

You want to make a strong accusation against the church and our beliefs and former beliefs, I have no problem with that. However, do it in a controlled manner or even a humorous manner like they did on South Park.

Filled with anger and hate their opinions are worthless to me. It is emotional speak.

I will agree with you that the church members who love to shut down discussion and put their heads in the sand do us no real favor, but I wouldn't use O'Donell and the Huffington report as evidence of how closure of thought hurts us. They themselves represent closure of thought the other way.
The two most tawdry elements, arguably, of Mormon history are 1) racism and 2) Joseph Smith's polygamous marriages.

The latter is especially not well known even among members.

In fact, I predict you will have many members announcing that true facts are actually lies. Imagine the confusion that will result, when they realize that they themselves have lied. Will they feel lied to, or deceived?

Such a process is not innoculation. It is full blown disease.

Better get the cure ready.