cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #31
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
or your personal attack re: intellect. They are different? BTW........I have read numerous accounts and have not heard of such evidence......stories yes, but no evidence. Or do you consider the media as evidentiary sources?
Yes, there is a difference. The personal attack was brought on by your refusal to dignify any logical argument with a response worthy of them, and did not affect the arguments made. Your Hitler comment was brought on by your lack of ability to come up with said response, and was the ONLY 'logic' attempted in the argument.

Interesting that you're basing your own opinion on the media reports of the incident, and yet are accusing me of doing so.

Even superficial reading of the reports includes mention of evidence of several crimes. I would expect even the most poorly educated person would understand the need to control the reporting of specific evidence involved in a criminal case, in order to protect the accused.

How about this - when you can come up with specific arguments that even remotely touch the logic of my last post, I'll dignify you with an apology & retraction of the slight on your intellectual capability. Until then, deal with it.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"

Last edited by Spaz; 04-10-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #32
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Sorry Utahns, you can't wash your hands of them. Any more than any Muslim can say, "Osama who?" That was my original point. Brigham Young et al. created this mess in the first place. It's on them. The Mormon Church deserves to be associated in some way with the Orthodox LDS. In fact, from what I've read on CB most devout Mormon men would welcome a return to the old hillbilly days of going into the school houses and picking the sweetest young things for wives and concubines.
Leave it to SU to try to inject anti-mormon criticism into a thread about the legality of the actions of the Texas authorities.

You can't give it a rest, can you?

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
If SeattleUte didn't masturbate, would his self-loathing decrease? I don't care what your mother or Deacon's Quorum advisor taught you, you got every right to yank it when you feel so inspired. Apes do it all the time, hence it is natural.
As Adam has stated, none of this Orthodox LDS stuff even at its worst differs from what early Mormons did. But I wouldn't say that being brutally honest about the past is necessarily self-loathing. I'm sure that if you go back far enough, to way before even than JS's birth, I may have ancestors guilty of worse than rape and child abuse. My taste is for the truth. But I do think that the truth and the myth make for a savory contrast.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #34
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Leave it to SU to try to inject anti-mormon criticism into a thread about the legality of the actions of the Texas authorities.

You can't give it a rest, can you?
Since when is the truth anti-Mormonism. Why don't you address the merits of my post? Is it unfair that Mormons and Orthodox Mormons are associated? As Adam has noted, this stuff was par for the course in the early Church.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #35
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sorry Utahns, you can't wash your hands of them. Any more than any Muslim can say, "Osama who?" That was my original point. Brigham Young et al. created this mess in the first place. It's on them. The Mormon Church deserves to be associated in some way with the Orthodox LDS. In fact, from what I've read on CB most devout Mormon men would welcome a return to the old hillbilly days of going into the school houses and picking the sweetest young things for wives and concubines.
I do think there are members of the church that would follow blindly anything they were told to do. Those are the only members who have a kinship to the FLDS. 90% of the members I don't think fall into the category.

Perhpas 90% of BYU fans, but not members in general.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #36
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I do think there are members of the church that would follow blindly anything they were told to do. Those are the only members who have a kinship to the FLDS. 90% of the members I don't think fall into the category.

Perhpas 90% of BYU fans, but not members in general.
I was referring to the fact that from posts I've seen the consensus on CB seems to be that banishment of polygamy was bullshit, the government's illegalization of it has violated the First Amendment, and polygamy ought to be reinstated, especially if gay marriage becomes the norm.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #37
Spaz

Quote:
Since when is the truth anti-Mormonism. Why don't you address the merits of my post? Is it unfair that Mormons and Orthodox Mormons are associated? As Adam has noted, this stuff was par for the course in the early Church.
If you want to have a thread discussing the requisite level of association between the LDS & FLDS church, start one. Don't attempt to hijack this thread with it.

I will admit you're quite skilled at drawing the topic onto the LDS church. Use of the 'Orthodox' term is sure to entice a response.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #38
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As Adam has stated, none of this Orthodox LDS stuff even at its worst differs from what early Mormons did. But I wouldn't say that being brutally honest about the past is necessarily self-loathing. I'm sure that if you go back far enough, to way before even than JS's birth, I may have ancestors guilty of worse than rape and child abuse. My taste is for the truth. But I do think that the truth and the myth make for a savory contrast.
Nobody is disputing what Adam stated or what even went on 160 years ago in the early LDS Church. I don't think your comment is germaine, however. As Adam has also stated most of the average Utahn's are woefully ignorant of LDS history. That is why Adam is the first. He, along with Mike Waters on the African descent and the priesthood issue, exist to lead the rest of us to the path of true knowledge of who we are and how we got here. Hence, it is stupid to conclude that the Utahn's agreeing with seperating the FLDS children from YFZ Ranch are doing so in an effort to excuse themselves of a past for which they are blissfully unaware. I don't think you are stupid as much as I think you hate yourself. The true cause of your hate is neither the fact that you are a Native Utahn nor the fact that your ancestors abused young girls, but rather that you willfully chose to disassociate yourself with God's true religion which they sacrificed so much to establish. Regardless, the covenants promised to your ancestors are true and despite you being an insufferable asshat, God will come and get you because of their faithfullness. I think Adam stated that once as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #39
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default My opinion is based on the court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Yes, there is a difference. The personal attack was brought on by your refusal to dignify any logical argument with a response worthy of them, and did not affect the arguments made. Your Hitler comment was brought on by your lack of ability to come up with said response, and was the ONLY 'logic' attempted in the argument.

Interesting that you're basing your own opinion on the media reports of the incident, and yet are accusing me of doing so.

Even superficial reading of the reports includes mention of evidence of several crimes. I would expect even the most poorly educated person would understand the need to control the reporting of specific evidence involved in a criminal case, in order to protect the accused.

How about this - when you can come up with specific arguments that even remotely touch the logic of my last post, I'll dignify you with an apology & retraction of the slight on your intellectual capability. Until then, deal with it.
records and affadavits. Kind of a novel idea, don't you think? Facts. And you call my intellect faulty? LOL

You're not called spaz for nothing.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #40
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that from posts I've seen the consensus on CB seems to be that banishment of polygamy was bullshit, the government's illegalization of it has violated the First Amendment, and polygamy ought to be reinstated, especially if gay marriage becomes the norm.

I don't know if that is fair. My worries about what is going on in Texas has nothing to do with my wanting to protect my religion against it's earlier days.

I have long been a, hey if you've done nothing wrong, what do you care if you are wire tapped, illegally searched, etc.

My dealing with the justice system in America over the last decade has lestened my blind faith a great deal.

I know for a fact that somewhere in the state of Utah people get more harsh justice because of some guys affiliation with the LDS church. He takes his religion to the bench. I don't doubt that goes on in Texas with the Baptists.

As far as I am concerned they can lock up all those wacko's and throw them in jail. However, it does concern me that someday someone might just call me the wacko.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote