cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Marry in your own race"

This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.
Sweet. Some things never change. Doesn't this cast a revealing light on the source of the opposition to gay marriage?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Give 'em hell, Mike. That line should be removed from the manual.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Give 'em hell, Mike. That line should be removed from the manual.
The LDS Church is such a sweet spot for Mike. He gets to be a dissident and reactionary within, and take on all comers from without, two AK 47's in hand, against the atheist and liberal hordes.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The LDS Church is such a sweet spot for Mike. He gets to be a dissident and reactionary within, and take on all comers from without, two AK 47's in hand, against the atheist and liberal hordes.
God bless him.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm just a simple guy looking for a place to rest my head.

I really like and respect the guy that taught the lesson. He is not trying to hurt people. He is doing the right thing in his mind by 1) following the prophet, 2) following the lesson plan, 3) saying what he has heard his entire life--whites marry whites, non-whites marry non-whites.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I generally favor people marrying within the human race, but with Seattle and Creekster, I guess some people make exceptions. God bless their patient and self-sacrificing wives.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
SeattleUte

In the old days Tex would leap into this thread swinging with bare knuckles, defending the manual as inspired, spinning all kinds of wild sophistry impressive in its own right. We really do need some new Mullah blood.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
In the old days Tex would leap into this thread swinging with bare knuckles, defending the manual as inspired, spinning all kinds of wild sophistry impressive in its own right. We really do need some new Mullah blood.
No kidding. The new Tex is pretty mellow.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
No kidding. The new Tex is pretty mellow.
You all can go to hell.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote