cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
"Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong..."

I love this quote - it's my favorite... The Church is saying - we don't like being called bigots, and you are wrong for calling us that because we say you are wrong! Nevertheless, if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck etc etc - - - then it's a duck! no amount of calling it something else changes the fact that it's a duck!

The church's opposition to prop 8 was bigotted and the campaign the church ran was nothing more than spreading fear and making false claims.
Amen, brother.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Link? Please provide a link to some example of the so-called bigotry by the Church (not members on their own). The Church itself.
Did you see any of the Yes on 8 commercials?
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

"Before it accepted the invitation to join broad-based coalitions for the amendments, the Church knew that some of its members would choose not to support its position. Voting choices by Latter-day Saints, like all other people, are influenced by their own unique experiences and circumstances. As we move forward from the election, Church members need to be understanding and accepting of each other and work together for a better society."

I hate to distract form the rapier-like with of so many of you, but what hilarious comments do you have about this? Or did you just pass over that part? Or is this all just one continual joke?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong..."

I love this quote - it's my favorite... The Church is saying - we don't like being called bigots, and you are wrong for calling us that because we say you are wrong! Nevertheless, if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck etc etc - - - then it's a duck! no amount of calling it something else changes the fact that it's a duck!

The church's opposition to prop 8 was bigotted and the campaign the church ran was nothing more than spreading fear and making false claims.

ANd they are bigoted simply becaseu you say so? Sholdn't you apply the same standards of proof to yourself that you are whining about when broadly painting the church? SU has gotten to you, and it is not pretty.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
creekster

Quote:
Did you see any of the Yes on 8 commercials?

Yes I did and I do not think they are bigoted,as a general matter. I was disturbed by some things I heard members say, but the ads (which were not the church, but the coalition, btw, and there is very much a difference) were not, generally, bigoted.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh. Losing sucks, doesn't it?
It does not suck for me as much as it does for my friends and family that are gay, but you are right, it does suck. It sucks to have to have individual bigotry by members of the church validated. It sucks to see marriages between 2 loving gay people end. It will suck to see the marriages that have already occurred between 2 loving gay people invalidated. You are right Tex losing this battle does suck. It is a sad sad day today.

Congratulations Yes on 8 voters. Your right to discriminate was reinstated. Let's all throw a party.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #17
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I want to thank all of the Californians that voted yes for saving us. God was ready to turn us into salt or something, but you changed his mind. I will be eternally grateful.
You're welcome. You're not very good at clever hyperbole, but you're welcome even so.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #18
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
It does not suck for me as much as it does for my friends and family that are gay, but you are right, it does suck. It sucks to have to have individual bigotry by members of the church validated. It sucks to see marriages between 2 loving gay people end. It will suck to see the marriages that have already occurred between 2 loving gay people invalidated. You are right Tex losing this battle does suck. It is a sad sad day today.

Congratulations Yes on 8 voters. Your right to discriminate was reinstated. Let's all throw a party.

This is a crock. It ignores the many discussions we have had on thiw site in the past few weeks and sinks well below the thoughtful opinions you typically post.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post

I'll chock this kind of overreaction up to emotion.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is a crock. It ignores the many discussions we have had on thiw site in the past few weeks and sinks well below the thoughtful opinions you typically post.
Well that may be. I am just frustrated. It is a sad day for me and my family. Nobody likes being called a bigot. I try not to throw that word around because it is so confrontational. It is a "fighting word", but prop 8 does discriminate against gay people. It prevents them from marrying the person they love. To me that is sad. I am sorry if I am lashing out.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote