cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Once again, it is a hollow victory. This fact that they even feel the need to issue a statement like this illustrates that the battle was "won" but at tremendous cost. The church will be paying for this for a long time, IMO.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #22
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
Did you see any of the Yes on 8 commercials?
Yes. Didn't see any bigotry there. But I guess that depends on your definition of the word.

Is the Law of Chastity bigoted? Does that mean we hate heteros who have pre-marital sex? What about the WoW?

The stuff people are willing to call bigotry today disgusts me.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #23
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
ANd they are bigoted simply becaseu you say so? Sholdn't you apply the same standards of proof to yourself that you are whining about when broadly painting the church? SU has gotten to you, and it is not pretty.
oh come on. let's not get into word-play and semantics. the church was every bit as much a part of the movement as its individual members. it's like telling me i can't pierce the corporate veil even though it is just a ruse. the church condones same sex marriage because it is intolerant and bigotted on that issue. the church is intolerant toward any other opinion than its own and the message that ultimately went out (with members money, but with the church's influence deeply felt) was that or fear of something different and misunderstood, and unfortunately the prejudice being expressed was passive/aggressive and the church would never come straight out and say what it wanted to... that gay people creep us out and disgust us but we don't want to try to understand them or this issue - it's black and white!
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #24
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Yes. Didn't see any bigotry there. But I guess that depends on your definition of the word.

Is the Law of Chastity bigoted? Does that mean we hate heteros who have pre-marital sex? What about the WoW?

i don't know of MANY definitions of bigotry. i'm sure that there's only one... however, if i had to define the concept, i would say it is an unwavering dedication to prejudice irregardless of any argument otherwise.

i dont' have time to grab a dictionary but i would imagine it's something like that.

the church won't meet with gay members on the issue but instead puts out statements that cling to faulty logic and reasoning. bigotted. that they rely on a claim of deity/inspiration doesn't change the application of the term biggoted to the conduct except as a justification - not an exception.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #25
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post

Would you support an amendment prohibiting people who broke the Law of Chastity or Word of Wisdom from marrying? If so, I would say you are a bigot.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #26
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Once again, it is a hollow victory. This fact that they even feel the need to issue a statement like this illustrates that the battle was "won" but at tremendous cost. The church will be paying for this for a long time, IMO.
very well put, Lebowski.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh stop, already. It's a statement that recognizes it's a highly emotional issue, and it was pretty stand-up of them to phrase it that way (not that I would expect anything else).

To listen to you, you'd think the church should roll over anytime it has a position that is unpopular. With that attitude, we never would've made it out of the year 1831.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
oh come on. let's not get into word-play and semantics. the church was every bit as much a part of the movement as its individual members. it's like telling me i can't pierce the corporate veil even though it is just a ruse. the church condones same sex marriage because it is intolerant and bigotted on that issue. the church is intolerant toward any other opinion than its own and the message that ultimately went out (with members money, but with the church's influence deeply felt) was that or fear of something different and misunderstood, and unfortunately the prejudice being expressed was passive/aggressive and the church would never come straight out and say what it wanted to... that gay people creep us out and disgust us but we don't want to try to understand them or this issue - it's black and white!
Those who hear that message are just wallowing in their own anger. They have no interest in understanding the church's position either.

I grow weary of hearing the lame apologetics for the militaristic wing of the gay agenda.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't know what was won and what was lost.

The definition of marriage is preserved in California. Okay.

What did the Church lose? Favor with gays? Did it ever have any favor with gays? So, can it lose something it never had?

It invested political capital, and preserved some capital by winning. Had it lost, that would have mattered, because then it would have lost political capital and not won what it sought out to win.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #29
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
the militaristic wing of the gay agenda.
LOL. Thanks for that image.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #30
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
the militaristic wing of the gay agenda.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote