cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

My opinion: we should have the Honor Code but no Honor Code Office. There should be no snitching, policing, or booting. If it's called an "Honor" code, then the enforcement should be by one's honor.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
lol..that is funny.

I remember the one time I hiked the Y with some friends who were attending the Y at the time. Little did I know at the time, that hiking up there was a place where many couples would escape to perform their own personal Calls of the Wild.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
My opinion: we should have the Honor Code but no Honor Code Office. There should be no snitching, policing, or booting. If it's called an "Honor" code, then the enforcement should be by one's honor.
What is the purpose of having an Honor Code then? It would be like one of those Democratic non-binding resolutions that they keep passing.

Certainly there could be some substantial improvement on the enforcement end, but to claim you have an Honor Code and then not have any institutional enforcement would be even more hypocritical than it is now.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Students know before they come to BYU what the standards are. It's not like these rules were foisted upon them midstream.
Like I said in my response to DrumNFeather, that is not the point. No one here is arguing ignorance of the honor code as an excuse for not living it.

(there is some irony here considering that yesterday you called me "a charter member of the peanut gallery")
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
What is the purpose of having an Honor Code then? It would be like one of those Democratic non-binding resolutions that they keep passing.

Certainly there could be some substantial improvement on the enforcement end, but to claim you have an Honor Code and then not have any institutional enforcement would be even more hypocritical than it is now.
Wow.

Tell me: in what other areas of life do you think we need more "external enforcement" in order to ensure righteous living?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #26
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Hmm.... That's a fascinating argument from a Ute fan. But it obfuscates the point. Very few ever argue that if someone signs the honor code then they should not be bound to live by it. It's more useful to debate whether the honor code is ultimately in the best interests of the university and students. And whether it ought to be tweaked.
I see your patronizing undertones in regard to me being a Ute fan, but I'm not just any Ute find mind you, I'm an Active LDS Ute Fan (ALUF). {Cue Response: Those are the worst kind}

My point is similar to Indys point. The honor code doesn't sneak up on anyone and it's not like they don't know what they are getting into.

What I'm interested in is why someone would put so much hard work and effort into getting into BYU only to get there and spend his or her time resisting the rules in place...when he or she knew full well the rules when he or she applied and got in.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
Indy Coug

That pretty accurately describes your participation on Cougarboard.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

Aren't we as members of the church already required to live an honor code so to speak? The only time we're required to sign anything as members is your own temple recommend. That's it.

I'm not saying get rid of the Honor Code cause I think it does some good, but it's also overbearing in some un-neccessary ways.

Having said that I don't exactly feel sorry for someone who goes in with both eyes open, signs it, and then bitches and moans about it. If you don't want to sign it, then don't go to BYU.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I see your patronizing undertones in regard to me being a Ute fan, but I'm not just any Ute find mind you, I'm an Active LDS Ute Fan (ALUF). {Cue Response: Those are the worst kind}
Hey, don't get me wrong. I think you are great. Sorry if I offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
My point is similar to Indys point. The honor code doesn't sneak up on anyone and it's not like they don't know what they are getting into.

What I'm interested in is why someone would put so much hard work and effort into getting into BYU only to get there and spend his or her time resisting the rules in place...when he or she knew full well the rules when he or she applied and got in.
So getting into BYU is such an incredible priviledge that once there, all students should just shut up and not discuss how BYU could be improved? Is that the education we want to give our youth?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Wow.

Tell me: in what other areas of life do you think we need more "external enforcement" in order to ensure righteous living?
What purpose does an Honor Code serve if there is nothing enforcement-wise to uphold the standards?

When I join a company, I receive an orientation that outlines the code of conduct expected by that company. If I fail to live by those guidelines, I could be subject to action taken against me by my employer.

If you honestly think there should be no enforcement of the BYU Honor Code, then you should also be claiming there should be no Honor Code to begin with.