cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #61
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, as you pointed out, he succinctly demonstrated what conservatives think of liberals.

I don't think it's sad. I think it's great to see the real Obama showing his face. McCain won't even need to say anything. All he'll have to do is have ads that contain Obama's own words.
Really? So you think McCain is going to run away with this one, eh? Well, I will happily take that bet.

Several new polls have come out today in Pennsylvania, by the way. And, as I guessed, Obama's comment doesn't appear to have had much of an effect, if any, at all. He is within 5-9 points in almost all of them. Perhaps people aren't as offended as you want them to be?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #62
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Really? So you think McCain is going to run away with this one, eh? Well, I will happily take that bet.

Several new polls have come out today in Pennsylvania, by the way. And, as I guessed, Obama's comment doesn't appear to have had much of an effect, if any, at all. He is within 5-9 points in almost all of them. Perhaps people aren't as offended as you want them to be?
I'm happy for you that people are overlooking that Obama is a hateful bigot.

And did I say anything about McCain running away with it? Or did you look in Webster's to find out what I was saying?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #63
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dude, do you really think he's a hateful bigot? He might be an elitist or a snob, but I really don't think he's a hateful bigot. This bothers me because it's the same tactic the left often uses to describe those with whom they disagree. Instead of recognizing a differing viewpoint, they resort to character assasination.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #64
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Dude, do you really think he's a hateful bigot? He might be an elitist or a snob, but I really don't think he's a hateful bigot. This bothers me because it's the same tactic the left often uses to describe those with whom they disagree. Instead of recognizing a differing viewpoint, they resort to character assasination.
I don't find him elitist or a snob, but other than that, I totally agree. I don't understand how so many people can actually hate a candidate from another party.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:39 AM   #65
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
True, that was way over the top. I only said it to get a rise out of Cali.

I do think he is an arrogant, elitist, asshole.

What really bothers me most about all this is how nobody is challenging Obama about the things he says or the people with whom he surrounds himself. If he wants to be POTUS, he really should have to explain all of the controversial things that are a part of his campaign.

If a conservative candidate was saying the things Obama does, he would be crucified by the media.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 AM   #66
Cali Coug

Quote:

And did I say anything about McCain running away with it? Or did you look in Webster's to find out what I was saying?
You certainly conveyed the message he would run away with it. You said:

"I think it's great to see the real Obama showing his face. McCain won't even need to say anything. All he'll have to do is have ads that contain Obama's own words."

Is that not what you meant? If it will be close, won't McCain need to do something more than just have ads containing Obama's words?

I think I have shown that Obama's comments do have substantial statistical support. I think I have shown that his comments haven't had any appreciable effect on the election in Pennsylvania through polls taken after his comments were made. It is, as I argued, a media-hyped event with people looking to take offense. You clearly were looking for it, and you clearly found it. It must be a bit confusing to note that others aren't finding it as offensive as you wanted them to find it.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #67
Cali Coug

Quote:
True, that was way over the top. I only said it to get a rise out of Cali.

I do think he is an arrogant, elitist, asshole.

What really bothers me most about all this is how nobody is challenging Obama about the things he says or the people with whom he surrounds himself. If he wants to be POTUS, he really should have to explain all of the controversial things that are a part of his campaign.

If a conservative candidate was saying the things Obama does, he would be crucified by the media.
Seriously- how do you get that nobody criticizes him for anything he says? Isn't this very issue we are discussing proof positive that what you just said is false? Turn on CNN right this minute and you will hear them talking about his comments with a panel of "experts" discussing whether or not he is elitist.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #68
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
You certainly conveyed the message he would run away with it. You said:

"I think it's great to see the real Obama showing his face. McCain won't even need to say anything. All he'll have to do is have ads that contain Obama's own words."

Is that not what you meant? If it will be close, won't McCain need to do something more than just have ads containing Obama's words?

I think I have shown that Obama's comments do have substantial statistical support. I think I have shown that his comments haven't had any appreciable effect on the election in Pennsylvania through polls taken after his comments were made. It is, as I argued, a media-hyped event with people looking to take offense. You clearly were looking for it, and you clearly found it. It must be a bit confusing to note that others aren't finding it as offensive as you wanted them to find it.
Where is this substantial statistic support you talk about? If you've provided a link that I've missed, I'll look for it, but I don't remember ever seeing anything other than your opinion.

As for what I said about McCain, you are assuming you know what I was saying. Isn't it rather odd that you see something so ridiculous in my comments, but those who see the same in what Obama said are, according to you, wrong? I guess we hear what we want to hear, eh?

And no, I wasn't looking to be offended because I'm not that way. You, however, are one of the few people I've encountered in the last few days that didn't think Obama meant anything by his comments about people clinging to guns and religion because they're bitter.

How do I get that nobody is criticizing him about it? I haven't seen anyone in the media do it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that they're discussing it on CNN right now, so there is no need to tune in. But CNN is the most liberal of the media outlets on tv, so I can't imagine that what they're saying is really that tough on him.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #69
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seriously- how do you get that nobody criticizes him for anything he says? Isn't this very issue we are discussing proof positive that what you just said is false? Turn on CNN right this minute and you will hear them talking about his comments with a panel of "experts" discussing whether or not he is elitist.
He appears to me to be getting a free ride by everybody but the Republican Party.

Obama should win going away. If it's close or he loses, it's due to stupid comments like his elitist, too good for normal Americans comments. My impression is that he is an elitist snob with no tolerance for disagreement. He's been oprahfried and has glamorized his adoring population.

You don't see a single bad thing about him, and have bought into lock, stock and barrel. Maybe he'll start a church and you would love to join that too.

He is an elitist snob who wishes the government to intervene in everything to tell us common people how to run our lives. He may and should win, but we will regret it.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #70
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
What Obama fails to realize is that in two sentences he has managed to perfectly embody the liberal stereotype that conservatives find so offensive: The liberal who fancies himself so terribly educated, fancies his own thinking so painfully logical, that it's only natural that his own world view is the only possibility for other rational, intelligent, informed Americans. Obviously, if someone embraces another viewpoint (or goodness forbid another political party)they're either deluded or just plain stupid.

And the party wonders how they've managed to alienate average Americans.

The irony is that the question was why small-town Americans aren't supporting his candidacy. His answer demonstrated the reason all too accurately.

You are young but have an old soul. I think this is spot on.

I don't think Obama meant to be offensive, and I think he was trying to be empathetic, but he is a product of his eduaction, after all, and it is elitist and so it came out that way becasue he was being a little less guarded than ussual at the time in that setting. The impact comes from the dynmaic BGordo describes.