cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #131
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree many take the Tex approach, but more of the conventionalists take an Indy approach, namely, I really, really, really disagree, and I don't care to have to reason it all out, but I'll "live and let live". Tex takes upon himself to correct us after having used his, "The Church is always right belief" to steer us from our wayward paths. So of the conventionalists, I would argue that Indy's or Jefe's approach is more akin to the mainstream conventionalists as opposed to Tex's more aggressive approach of conventionalism.
By the way, my approach leads me to the conclusion that the church is almost always right. Almost. Maybe that's the heretic in me.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #132
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
By the way, my approach leads me to the conclusion that the church is almost always right. Almost. Maybe that's the heretic in me.
In one respect, because I'm not running the joint, I don't care if it's right all the time, most of the time or some of the time. I would not say it's not right some of the time.

In a theological sense, I care, but there's not a whole lot I can do. For me to make sense of my relation to the organization which does more good than harm, I like to reason things out. It's better to help from within than from without.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #133
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I'll break my promise here briefly to correct one misconception. I do not force my beliefs on anyone. This is a message board. I can and do come on here and disagree with just about everything, but in the end, you go home and do what you want, and I go home and do what I want.

I have never in my life ever abused church position or other position of authority to push my personal beliefs. As an example (and hopefully not to open another can here): I don't go see R-rated movies. I think there's good reasons not to watch them, and if someone comes and asks me for my opinion I'll share it. But you will never, ever catch me preaching it from the pulpit or the classroom, nor will you find me disparaging the character or "righteousness" of those who do.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #134
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I haven't read much of this thread, but did scan the article. This guy appears to be no spring chicken. How is it that someone goes to college, becomes an engineer, grows to maturity, and then when in his forties a light bulb goes on and he says, "Hey, wait a minute, there are thousands of reasons why this makes no sense!" Really, it's kind of funny. How is one wired to care whether it makes any sense, and then not figure it out for so long?

This is supposed to happen way back in college. This is one of the primary benefits of college. The man is suffering from arrested development. I bet he went to BYU.

Next thing he'll figure out that the whole idea of a religion's dogma making sense or not, is absurd, and to speak in those terms just buys into the whole nonsensical scheme. But that may take until he's 70 years old.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-26-2007 at 06:34 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #135
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Adam, I enjoy your posts and agree with you on some points, including some points you make on church honesty. But this is probably the most retarded thing I've read on this site this week.
I've got to side with Jay on this one, Adam. The guy's life was in danger. And he had the guilty pleasure of scamming the mob at the same time. I like to think I value honesty a great deal, but I am not going to judge PPP for this one.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #136
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
People have faith that the Mormon Church is true because they like being Mormon. That's why it's a silly thing to lose one's faith over. It's not about whether JS was 100% legit, 90% legit, or 0% legit. Being Mormon instead of Methodist is like preferring chocolate ice cream to vanilla.
Yes.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #137
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yes.
Yes he says.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #138
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I have a hunch that someday the line to apologize to Joseph Smith and other prophets is going to be a very long one.
Really? I'm guessing Joseph would be pretty understanding given the information we have to work with. He himself said that if these things hadn't happened to him personally then he wouldn't have believed them either. Seems to me that people who learn of troubling history and yet manage to stay faithful are demonstrating a great deal of faith and loyalty. Two things Joseph would respect deeply.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #139
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Do you know the stake president, BlueHair?
By your fruits ye shall know them. Asshole isn't a strong enough word. Still, I think the excommunicated dude should just take his family and be on his way. Hopefully his wife has more love for him than the Stake President and voluntarily leaves the church.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #140
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Dang, I don't know how I missed another post psychoanalyzing me.

Nice one, Napper. Never ceases to amaze me how total strangers who only know me through a few thousands posts on the internet can have the arrogance to think they know my mind.

Maybe I should give this psychoanalyzing thing a try sometime.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote