cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #121
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang. The church isn't true. SU was right.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #122
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Dang. The church isn't true. SU was right.
No no, the Church just needs to listen to Adam and Waters to get back on track.

Their suggestions would save us all.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #123
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
No no, the Church just needs to listen to Adam and Waters to get back on track.

Their suggestions would save us all.
It'd be a decent start.

Last edited by Solon; 02-23-2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #124
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
This is getting silly. Woot's original response to Chino was essentially correct. Woot did emphasize the most extreme survey of disbelief among scientist. Yes, NAS is an elite reseach society so I don't have a problem with him emphasizing that. Other surveys of research scientist at elite universities do not produce such extreme results. Typically surveys find that about 60% either "do not believe in God" or "or don't know if there is a God and there is no way to find out." So the NAS are an extreme sample. Some of this could be related to the survey question given to the NAS sample which I think defined a very active God: "a God in intellectual and affective communication with humankind." Clearly one could believe in God in a general sense and disagree with the preceding statement.

Second, there is a rather large difference between the beliefs of scientists in God and the general population. The percentage for the US general population hovers around 10% (disbelief).

Third, these surveys are a long way from empirically providing evidence of the secularizing effect of education on measures of both religious activity and belief. You need a much more careful empirical design to answer that question.

Finally, woot you do have a tendency to display "intellectual contempt" towards other board members. This may be entirely unintended but at these point in your cougarguard life people are starting to respond to this perception instead of your arguments. My suggestion is to start give your opponent's argument the most charitable possible reading instead of trying to attack their weakest link. You are essentially a non-believer on a "faithful" (despite its liberal leanings) board. As such you need to negotiate the board with a thick skin and a great deal charity towards the faithful or you will find yourself marginalized.
That's a fair assessment and I appreciate the advice. I actually try to do what you recommended on a daily basis, but allowed myself to contribute to a type of thread that I generally try to stay away from, as these threads do tend to not go very well when I get involved.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #125
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Not me. The OT is just a good book, and an important relic. I don't look to any tribal ethos in deciding right from wrong. Cite the OT as justification for racism and any truly enlightened person will just write you off. I'm trying to help you here, Tex.
The mortal life of Jesus is not in the Old Testament.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote