cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #111
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
non sequitur with the facts. He has an agenda and it beats anything of truth.
I have no agenda, and I'm not indicting the Church as an institution, just a good portion of the people that inhabit that Church. A gay man would likely have the same reception in most other fundamental Christian congregations.

BTW, when I spoke of gays being ostracized in just about every Utah ward, I should have specified I was speaking of gay men. With the advent of Sheri Dew, Mormons now seem to have acquired a soft spot in their hearts for gay women.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #112
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Growing up, a man returned to live with his parents. He had AIDS. He was gay. He attended church, and went to the temple with his parents. His father was the stake patriarch. He looked to be a kind man, but appeared much older than his years. He looked sickly, but I remember he smiled. I noticed he stopped coming, and found out that he died.

This patriarch knew my grandparents. I believe he has died as well now.

Based on this, I think wards are ok with gay men who are dying who return to the church and are temple worthy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #113
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Not to pick apart what you're saying BFM, but should the sexually active ones not be given support?

EDIT: In other words, are you saying you've seen that the sexually active gays weren't given empathy and support in wards in Utah? How did the ward members know if they were sexually active or not?
I suppose I shouldn't have even added in the "not sexually active" parenthetical phrase because it clouded the issue. In the instance that I know firsthand of, the person was not sexually active because the person lived at home with family and when the person came out they claimed they weren't sexually active. Of course the person could've been lying...

I'm not saying that I've seen cases where sexually active gays weren't given support or were given support - only that in the case I know of the person claimed to not be sexually active.

On a side note, Carol Lynn Pearson has commented on the love and support she and her ex-husband received from their ward when the ex-husband, dying of AIDS, came home to live his final days with her and the children. These examples are simply put forth to refute non-sequitur's overly broad generalizations. For NS to claim that NO wards in Utah (of course CLP's ward was in CA so I suppose someone could pick that nit) would accept an openly gay man and that to say otherwise is a lie, is itself a lie.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #114
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default So you're claiming Sheri Dew is gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I have no agenda, and I'm not indicting the Church as an institution, just a good portion of the people that inhabit that Church. A gay man would likely have the same reception in most other fundamental Christian congregations.

BTW, when I spoke of gays being ostracized in just about every Utah ward, I should have specified I was speaking of gay men. With the advent of Sheri Dew, Mormons now seem to have acquired a soft spot in their hearts for gay women.
.....and you have no agenda? You're a joke!
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #115
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Here's a good example of some (potential) gay hypersensitivity.

Two lesbian women are kissing in the stands at a Mariner s game when an usher, at the behest of another spectator, asks them to "tone it down."

Quote:
On Thursday, after an internal investigation, the Mariners said in a news release that their seating staff had acted appropriately, and the couple was approached because of their behavior—which included "making out" and "groping" in the stands—and not their sexual orientation.

"We have a strict nondiscrimination policy at the Seattle Mariners and at Safeco Field, and when we do enforce the code of conduct it is based on behavior, not on the identity of those involved," Mariners spokeswoman Rebecca Hale said earlier this week.

In the release, the Mariners said the women were told they could continue to kiss, but that they had to "tone it down."

"The women refused to modify their behavior, began swearing at the seating hosts and complained that they were being singled out for their sexual orientation," the club said.

Guerrero denied she and her date were groping each other, saying that along with eating garlic fries, they were giving each other brief kisses.
This ends up being a little bit he-said/she-said (insert "she-said/she-said" joke here), but if the Mariners can demonstrate they have asked other, heterosexual couples to knock it off, then it seems plausible this was not exclusively a "gay" issue.

Moreover, there's this little gem on one of the two women involved:

Quote:
Since the incident, Guerrero's job and her past have come under scrutiny. She works at a bar known for scantily clad women and was a contestant on the MTV reality show "A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila," in which women and men compete for the affection of a bisexual Internet celebrity.
Seems like a person not totally immune to using her sexual orientation to get attention, which damages her credibility IMO. I could easily see how a legitimate request to tone it down could be received (either deliberately or accidentally) as singling them out because they are gay.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote