cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #71
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
4. Eliminate nearly all stake training meetings. Sunday Stake Conference, with maybe a corresponding priesthood meeting, is permissible. Eliminate Saturday evening "adult" session.
D&C 58:26-29
I took the initiative and personally implemented this one years ago. (c:
Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #72
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Lol. Me too.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #73
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Maybe I read it wrong as well. I think meeting every two weeks would be unmanageable as well, if you are going to have a scouting program. You can't run a troop meeting just once a month. (the other week would be a combined ym and yw activity I assume).
scouts I can see weekly, it's a very well defined program that kids that age generally enjoy.
But the Teacher and Priest program is really hard to run. It's not clearly defined. Kids have jobs, they have different interests. They become teenagers and earning shiny things for their shirts doesn't have the same appeal.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #74
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Me too. Does anyone go to these things?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #75
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Oh I read it wrong... I thought it meant once every other week... If its the twice a week thing then absolutely no
Funny, I read that one wrong as well. Mike has a good point though. Going to every other week for scouts would be tough. Keep the Deacons weekly and drop the Teachers/Priests to every other week. Or maybe keep the Teachers with the Deacons depending on if they are still scouting it up.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #76
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
3. Forbid any calendaring of any kind from being done during ward leadership meetings. All calendaring should be handled by telephone and email (again, for industrialized nations). Combine Ward Council and Welfare Meetings. Move PEC from weekly to bi-weekly, or even monthly.
Not that anyone's paying attention. But I just want to point out I got one thing right.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #77
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Indeed. He watches from afar, amused.

A few of my wishes, just off-the-cuff:

1. (For industrialized nations) The elusive 2-hour block. Streamline sacrament meeting down to 40 minutes. Keeping 10 minute breaks between meetings, give 30 mins to adult Sunday School and 30 mins to RS/Priesthood. Eliminate all in-meeting announcements ... relegate them to a paper program, or email. Primary only needs to be one hour. Combine youth Sunday school with YM/YW programs.

2. Convert Mutual/scouts from a weekly to bi-weekly meeting. Every other meeting would be combined, and should be more service-emphasized, including involvement in community and inter-faith activities.

3. Forbid any calendaring of any kind from being done during ward leadership meetings. All calendaring should be handled by telephone and email (again, for industrialized nations). Combine Ward Council and Welfare Meetings. Move PEC from weekly to bi-weekly, or even monthly.

4. Eliminate nearly all stake training meetings. Sunday Stake Conference, with maybe a corresponding priesthood meeting, is permissible. Eliminate Saturday evening "adult" session. Coordination and training of ward leaders by stake leaders handled on case-by-case basis.

That's just my short list. Can you tell I hate meetings?

Not exactly. What Mike meant to say was, "no one wants MY ideas," which is true.
Hey Tex, I support all your ideas. Did they decide to reduce meetings? I missed that announcement.

Sunday can be such a grind for me. PEC or Ward Council every Sunday. I've been attending these meetings for about 6 of the past 9 years...in three callings that required my attendance (the other one was scoutmaster). After getting home from church, my wife doesn't understand why I am irritated that she gets pulled away to choir practice for her calling. Sunday is absolutely not a day that I get to spend much time with my family.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #78
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Hey Tex, I support all your ideas. Did they decide to reduce meetings? I missed that announcement.

Sunday can be such a grind for me. PEC or Ward Council every Sunday. I've been attending these meetings for about 6 of the past 9 years...in three callings that required my attendance (the other one was scoutmaster). After getting home from church, my wife doesn't understand why I am irritated that she gets pulled away to choir practice for her calling. Sunday is absolutely not a day that I get to spend much time with my family.
That is sometimes the sacrifice made by a leader. But I'm sure you give willingly and without complaint, right?

I'm sure you were listening when President Monson spoke about how uncomplaining his wife was when he was gone for days or even weeks on church assignment.

PS. Welfare meeting was done away with a little while back.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote