cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #41
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The way the church disciplines its members may ebb and flow, but the act must always exist, else covenants are rendered meaningless.
Tex, you kill me sometimes. How does this differ from what Jay Santos proposed (extremely rare, but still happens) just prior to your absurd reply to him?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
jay santos never said he would have it completely eliminated, hence it would still exist, therefore I don't know why you think a reduction in exes necessarily means that jay santos or anyone else with his view wouldn't value covenants.

help me connect the dots here. I'm not understanding your line of thinking.
Sorry, I must have mis-read what he posted. I guess I think that the conditions he specified in large degree already apply.

Apologies, santos.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The way the church disciplines its members may ebb and flow, but the act must always exist, else covenants are rendered meaningless.
Covenants are meaningless unless excommunication exists? That's bizarre. Covenants are menaningful for their blessings and directives; you seem like a law and order, punishment and penalty type guy. There may be constructions of scripture which you use to justify that position, but I know of no scripture on point stating "no excoummunication, no meaning to covenant."
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #44
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
lol... from you that's funny.

Be conservative and stick to your guns and 71 calls you a mullah.

Change you mind or move a bit in your position and you waffle too much.

You're a hard judge, 71.
If I were judging him I would be dishing out some punishment. I think he is a moving target, unlike you who just sits there and gets hammered.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #45
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
In my opinion? I don't see any evidence for excommunication in ancient scripture--at least for sins of weakness and not apostacy. I see a lot of evidence for immediate repentance.

It's not for me to decide, but I would welcome a day when no one was ever excommunicated except for severe apostacy or for very serious sin where there is no desire to repent. That probably goes the same for disfellowshipping.
The same for disfellowshipping? Honestly? Is there really to be no consequences for serious sins?

Personally, I don't want to be assigned a home teacher that's canoodling with the family babysitter when I have a baby in the NICU that needs a blessing.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #46
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Covenants are meaningless unless excommunication exists? That's bizarre. Covenants are menaningful for their blessings and directives; you seem like a law and order, punishment and penalty type guy. There may be constructions of scripture which you use to justify that position, but I know of no scripture on point stating "no excoummunication, no meaning to covenant."
Could you keep order and control without excommunications. I would call the kicking out of the 1/3 of the host of heaven as an excommunication.

They mess things up as it is. Can you imagine if they had been allowed to have bodies.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #47
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The same for disfellowshipping? Honestly? Is there really to be no consequences for serious sins?

Personally, I don't want to be assigned a home teacher that's canoodling with the family babysitter when I have a baby in the NICU that needs a blessing.
Shouldn't the punishment for serious sins be something God deals out and not someone else?

Plus that is pretty big leap to say that if they got rid of disfellowshipping and excommunicating you will have more ht "canoodling with family baby sitter"
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #48
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
If I were judging him I would be dishing out some punishment. I think he is a moving target, unlike you who just sits there and gets hammered.
I see... you can't be judging unless you are handing our punishment.

Interesting distinction that I think it lost on a lot of people.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #49
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I see... you can't be judging unless you are handing our punishment.

Interesting distinction that I think it lost on a lot of people.
Of course you can judge without handing out punishment. I was waffling.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #50
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Shouldn't the punishment for serious sins be something God deals out and not someone else?
One could argue that the disciplinary actions taken by the church are according to what God has commanded, no?

But that aside, this is the best argument for illustrating that church discipline is NOT intended as a strictly punitive measure. Ultimately, it is God who punishes and God who forgives. The church is simply the vehicle established by him to administrate the ordinances that are tied to the covenants, and to teach the doctrine.

This is why a proper high council and stake presidency (or bishopric) should approach the decision to discipline with great reverence.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote