cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road
Default What do General Authorities get paid?

I got this question from a Southern Baptist guy at work today. I've explained to him before that all our tithing goes to Church headquarters in Salt Lake City and our congregation here in Houston receives what it needs to operate. Also, I told him that we definitely donate much more money in tithing than it takes to operate the ward, which I think is pretty safe to say for most wards in America.

He was saying that the "guys in Salt Lake City" must be living in $10 million dollar houses and flying in private jets, etc. I assured him that was not true and that they are paid modestly.

He asked me why our leaders' exact salary isn't disclosed, like it is for the pastor at his Church here in Houston.

Other than saying that our leaders are awesome, spiritual giants who had no aspiration to their positions and have no resemblance whatsoever to the shady televangelists he has in mind, I wasn't sure exactly what to say. He has a lot of relatives who are in the clergy, so I have to be kind of tactful around him when speaking about the potential evils of a paid clergy.

Any guesses on how much full-time general authorities, like the Quorum of the 12, get paid by the Church? I'm saying about $150K plus expenses like airfare and meals when the travel, but I really have no idea.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

That has been widely speculated but not confirmed.

They historically received a car, a Buick as it were, some modest middle class housing and sufficient clothing and entertainment allowances.

My own personal speculation for the President is about 300 to 400 with the Twelve receiving about 200 to 250, nice but not extravagant. Average schmucks in the professional world can earn that much. Associate lawyers at Seattle's law firm earn that much. So Joe Teacher feels it's a lot of money, but it's really not.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Here is a good thread on the topic:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...thority+salary

Incidentally, I don't think you need to be tactful.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
CardiacCoug

Thanks. Yeah, I do actually need to be tactful. He has a couple of kids who are Presbyterian ministers (even though he's Southern Baptist) and he's the director of the cath lab, so I can't get on his bad side. I already made the mistake once of ripping on paid ministers when we were talking about religion. He's always asking me about Warren Jeffs and stuff like that.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
He's always asking me about Warren Jeffs and stuff like that.
That's when you tell him that all three of your wives and all seven of your moms are really upset about the conviction.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

They historically received a car, a Buick as it were, some modest middle class housing and sufficient clothing and entertainment allowances.

My own personal speculation for the President is about 300 to 400 with the Twelve receiving about 200 to 250, nice but not extravagant. Average schmucks in the professional world can earn that much. Associate lawyers at Seattle's law firm earn that much. So Joe Teacher feels it's a lot of money, but it's really not.
I'll bet Hinckley's health insurance never denies a claim.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
CardiacCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

If you're right, then I can see why it's not made public. I have no problem with them being compensated that much, but I think a lot of people would be bugged.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
If you're right, then I can see why it's not made public. I have no problem with them being compensated that much, but I think a lot of people would be bugged.
Well some, including my wife, thinks I'm an arrogant elitist. However, when most of my clients can earn that much in a month, I'm not too impressed. I was speaking to one guy who has deals everywhere, and I asked him casually, "well how much in income taxes will you pay, and he stated 1.2 with 1.5 coming this year." Trying not to gulp, I stated, "oh, so you won't be voting for Hillary?" [note I don't earn near that much and Seattle is ten times more well to do than I, with 71 carrying my entire net worth in his walle]. [And if Cardiac Coug means you're a cardiologist, I know what cardiologists earn, so you dwarf us as well].

He laughed, "over ten dead bodies."
Old 09-27-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

If the information of one internet talking head who claims to know somebody in a downtown Salt Lake office but isn't willing to discuss who the occupant of that office is matters at all, rest assured that they don't make more than 5 digits.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
If the information of one internet talking head who claims to know somebody in a downtown Salt Lake office but isn't willing to discuss who the occupant of that office is matters at all, rest assured that they don't make more than 5 digits.
I think it could boil down to funky accounting as well.

Let's say you provide insurance, retirement, housing, clothing, fuel, transportation, travel subsidies and then a smallish stipend, the smallish stipend might only be 90K.