cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 01:44 AM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they really get paid housing or is that just assumed? As wealthy as the majority of them are before their call, I'd think they're more than set in the housing arena and would probably just choose their own accommodations.

Cardiac, one thing I think you can safely tell your colleague is that most of these guys are taking a paycut compared to what they made prior to service.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Do they really get paid housing or is that just assumed? As wealthy as the majority of them are before their call, I'd think they're more than set in the housing arena and would probably just choose their own accommodations.

Cardiac, one thing I think you can safely tell your colleague is that most of these guys are taking a paycut compared to what they made prior to service.
i think the housing allotment is for when they are called abroad to work. so, if they are living in their hometown, they live in their own house. if they are not, then the church provides accomodations for them.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 AM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

And things never stay the same. Brigham Young was worth 600K at the time of his death, probably more than the Church.

I remember the WSJ article identifying Paul Dunn in late eighties or early nineties as being paid 70K back then.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #14
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

What they get paid seems immaterial -- maybe it only matters to their heirs. From what I've heard, they basically have whatever they need at their beck and call -- what do they need salary for? Its better than a high salary, they have power and influence.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:05 AM   #15
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I remember the WSJ article identifying Paul Dunn in late eighties or early nineties as being paid 70K back then.
Dunn was one of the exceptions to the rule. He was a CES guy when he got called in and was making peanuts. He got rich via his calling.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:07 AM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dunn was one of the exceptions to the rule. He was a CES guy when he got called in and was making peanuts. He got rich via his calling.
Priestcraft?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:13 AM   #17
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Priestcraft?
Well, as you know his stories were wildly popular. Obviously he wouldn't have sold all those books if he were still just a CES guy (or maybe he would have, John Bytheway is probably doing pretty well). But even if he had never sold a book, the call as a GA probably elevated his income significantly due to his humble circumstances in his occupation.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to look on paid ministry quite dimly.

Now in my old age, I wonder why we don't do the same.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 AM   #19
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill Graham makes around $250K

http://www.ministrywatch.com/mw2.1/F...?EIN=410692230
Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
What they get paid seems immaterial -- maybe it only matters to their heirs. From what I've heard, they basically have whatever they need at their beck and call -- what do they need salary for? Its better than a high salary, they have power and influence.
I agree. I don't know what they make, but if it is above a decent standard of living they ain't lavishly spending it. It is too difficult to spend lavishly without others knowing and it would become public.

The only option is to save.

Knowing how BYU pays, my guess is many are wildly exagerating the compensation.