cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 AM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
They historically received a car, a Buick as it were, some modest middle class housing and sufficient clothing and entertainment allowances.
When I saw Pres. Hinckley speak on campus at BYU earlier this year, he was whisked away in a nice ride. Can't remember what it was, but it was the kind of car you notice. License plate said GORDONB. Pretty sweet.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #22
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I think some of the assumptions made are probably pretty accurate in the 'perks.' By this, I mean, I don't they actually receive a take home salary of more than $100,000. But, I believe they do get a housing stiped (living in SLC or outside), car/transportation, meals allowance, etc. When all of those are added in, no doubt, it is well well over $100K. I think the Church would keep the 'salary' lower than $100K just for appearances if it ever got out. And I think that it is probably smart to compensate them in different ways.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #23
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I used to look on paid ministry quite dimly.

Now in my old age, I wonder why we don't do the same.
1 Cor. 9 and 1 Tim. 5:18 are almost universally ignored by members of the Church.

And we can thank Henry Moyle for the less than helpful financial information that is put forward over the pulpit at conference. Before he almost bankrupted the Church, there was more detailed info provided. But then, as a reader of the DOM biography, this is nothing new to you.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 09-29-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The church owns a massive fleet of cars - think of all of the missions - and I know that as of 2005, President Packer, Elder Perry and Elder Holland were each driving a Toyota Avalon. My mission president had a Crown Victoria, but it was my understanding that it was his, he drove it from home.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #25
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
The church owns a massive fleet of cars - think of all of the missions - and I know that as of 2005, President Packer, Elder Perry and Elder Holland were each driving a Toyota Avalon. My mission president had a Crown Victoria, but it was my understanding that it was his, he drove it from home.
We only had one mission car. It looked like this.

SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #26
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Elders Packer and Perry are getting pretty old to be doing alot of driving. I'd hate to think that that was Elder Perry going 50 mph down I-15 getting honked at...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #27
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Elders Packer and Perry are getting pretty old to be doing alot of driving. I'd hate to think that that was Elder Perry going 50 mph down I-15 getting honked at...
That would suck to rage past an old guy going 50 and fly him the bird only to notice it's Tom smiling back at you.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I think some of the assumptions made are probably pretty accurate in the 'perks.' By this, I mean, I don't they actually receive a take home salary of more than $100,000. But, I believe they do get a housing stiped (living in SLC or outside), car/transportation, meals allowance, etc. When all of those are added in, no doubt, it is well well over $100K. I think the Church would keep the 'salary' lower than $100K just for appearances if it ever got out. And I think that it is probably smart to compensate them in different ways.
100K is not what it used to be, we have high school teachers in Vegas earning that.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I don't know how much GA's get paid. But I certainly would never lobby for it, nor would I be happy to get such a calling (not likely for me either way). This is far more than a 9-5 job. It swallows up your entire life. When I read the GBH biography I remember feeling exhausted at the end. I think the kind of work schedule he has maintained would crush or burn out a normal person.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #30
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I don't know how much GA's get paid. But I certainly would never lobby for it, nor would I be happy to get such a calling (not likely for me either way). This is far more than a 9-5 job. It swallows up your entire life. When I read the GBH biography I remember feeling exhausted at the end. I think the kind of work schedule he has maintained would crush or burn out a normal person.
Even worse than that for me would be the behavioral responsibilities. When everyone is scrutinizing your every move as though what you do/don't do is what God would have them do/not do, I can imagine it gets old fast. Those poor guys ought to have a GA poker night or something where they can lock themselves in some back room and be themselves for a few hours in a what happens here stays here atmosphere.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote