cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think that is patronizing. I think a relationship is at its best when we are equally yoked, so does Christ.

However, we want to appear humble and one way to do this is to be self-depreciating, but if we are self-depriciating while pointing out it is best to be equally yoked, we are insulting our wives. So it appears some use the better half talk so that the women feel better about themselves because we men suck.

I don't know how to crack the nut, but I think it is better to elevate the actual accomplishments of women above and beyond marrying me, a GA. In fact it seems to me that when actual Apostles speak they elevate the accomplishments of their wives based upon what they have done rather than by denigrating themselves and making their marriage to a successful man to be their significant accomplishment.
Yes, it's the uncomfortable compromise that GAs have concocted to appear sympathetic.

Some women may now actually like that BS, but in reality, the GAs should elevate the responsibilities of the women, not patronize them with such belittling comments.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
How old are you, 10?

Give me a break.
About the only on Archaea that is 10 is his underwear.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The answer is that Heavenly Father has more than one wife and we don't necessarily possess the same Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother, so it's an attempt to cut down on the confusion.
That is a good one. I like that one. Much better than the one I was told.

Of course I am still convinced we don't know the reason, but I still like it better than mine to tell other people.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #24
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I think that is patronizing. I think a relationship is at its best when we are equally yoked, so does Christ.
Certainly that is the ideal, but in reality, no two people are ever in exactly the same place spiritually.

Quote:
However, we want to appear humble and one way to do this is to be self-depreciating, but if we are self-depriciating while pointing out it is best to be equally yoked, we are insulting our wives. So it appears some use the better half talk so that the women feel better about themselves because we men suck.
So it's a lie, then, when men say these things. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
I don't know how to crack the nut, but I think it is better to elevate the actual accomplishments of women above and beyond marrying me, a GA. In fact it seems to me that when actual Apostles speak they elevate the accomplishments of their wives based upon what they have done rather than by denigrating themselves and making their marriage to a successful man to be their significant accomplishment.
You'd rather discuss accomplishments than who someone is? When I die, I'd rather be remembered as a good person than someone who made x amount of dollars and held x job for 40 years or held x calling in the church.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #25
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nice blanket statement there.

Just because you're a male chauvinist doesn't mean we all are. I sincerely believe my wife has made me a much better man than I would be otherwise.
Just because I hate women does not mean I'm a male chauvinist.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #26
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Just because I hate women does not mean I'm a male chauvinist.
Fair enough.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #27
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How old are you, 10?

Give me a break.
If it is any consolation I can easily believe your wife has made you a much better man.

I also believe women have a lot of qualities that men don't have. I am not patronizing when I say those qualities actually can be admired.

However, the one qualitiy a man may have over a women is they are better equipped to run the show. My religion backs me up on that too.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
If it is any consolation I can easily believe your wife has made you a much better man.
You're not the only one who ascribes to this belief.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #29
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Finally, Goat throws a bone embedded with words of wisdom. This is so amusing to observe a bunch of "men" tell me why I should be happy to be a second class citizen in the church. The GA, newly minted bishop or immature CG'er (hi JL) who publicly praises his wife is nothing more than patronizing and demeaning. What you are really saying is "I appreciate my wife for being submissive to my awkward attempts at romance/sex and indulging my appetite for attention. I had a HC once tell me he enjoyed "looking down" at the congregation while sitting his fat ass on the stand and assessing our failings.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #30
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
That answer and your avatar side by side just doesn't look right.
Lol.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote