cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #31
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Elder's Quorum Presidency (not the President) is an easy gig. You teach the quorum once every couple of months and explain to the Bishop why something or other wasn't done about every other week or so.
You forgot about the meetings. That alone makes me glad I'm not in there.

My strategy in this student ward (where the probability of getting called into the EQP or bishopric is higher than average for a 24 year old) has been to wear blue shirts more often than white to church, miss church entirely at least once every 8 weeks, and not go to the activities. Also, sleeping through sacrament meeting on occasion helps.

So far, so good.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #32
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have thought about this quite a few times. Especially when I caught wind of my last calling. But when I got in there and looked at our good bishop who dedicates so much of his time to service, I just couldn't look at him and claim that I didn't have the time. And of course, he gives me the old "I just can't think of anyone else who could do this..." guilt-trip-inducing line. Then again, I would probably resort to such tricks if I were in his shoes trying to staff a ward.
I understand your feelings, some of these callings can really test our organizational skills. Call me a mullah, but I have never turned down a calling and don't plan to do so in the future. I hope that doesn't come across as holier than thou. Others may feel differently and I'm not going to judge. I suppose there might come a time when I will turn down a calling, but things would have to be in such a state that calling me would border on the absurd. My wife is even more of mullah (I guess she would be called a Mullette; actually The Mullette) on this than I am.

My resolution in this area stems in part from what you are saying. How can I, a person that gains from the good volunteer work of others in the ward (in particular the Bishop), turn around and say "no thanks," I think I'll let others do the heavy lifting? I don't know that that is guilt so much as it is a feeling of responsibility. I also look at my temple vows and see no other choice than to do what I can. And frankly, most church callings are geared to a relatively low IQ.

That said, I'm not always happy about serving, especially when it is extremely inconvenient or time consuming. I also try to be realistic. I'm not going to spend a lot of time feeling bad if I miss a meeting that doesn't fit my busy family or work schedule. That happens. For example, my last ward held it's Bishopric and PEC meetings on Saturday mornings, usually from 9-noon. As anyone with children understands, that's an impossible time. I went when I could (usually once a month) but didn't feel bad about missing when I was going to football or other activities. I let my Bishop know and he was cool.

These leadership callings can be tough, especially when trying to have a life outside of The Church (I was Bear Den Leader for our local non-LDS Cub Scout Pack while serving as ward clerk in my last ward). But the rewards are great. I remember my wife dreading meeting with the Bishop knowing that the Primary President calling was sitting out there (this in our small French ward and she not really a very good French speaker). But alas, the call came and she broke down in tears right there with the Bishop. She said yes and what a wonderful experience that was, something she would not trade for the world. She might not have been the best Primary President The Church has seen, but she gave it all her love and attention and grew immensely.

Which brings me back to my initial statement. If one seriously doesn't want to do a calling, then why do it? Let the Bishop or SP know and move on. After their initial shock, they might actually appreciate such honesty. Otherwise, get ready to give back some to the church from whence one derives so many benefits.

Man, this is one preachy post.

I say these things . . . . . .

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Trust me, people say no to callings all the time. They say no to talks, they say no to prayers, they say no to tithing.

When you are a bishop, you appreciate the people who say "yes".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #34
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
For example, my last ward held it's Bishopric and PEC meetings on Saturday mornings, usually from 9-noon.
Wow. I had a stake president once who held a stake priesthood leadership meeting Sunday morning on Mother's Day, because "there was no other week to hold it." Once when New Year's was on a Sunday, the stake still chose to hold High Council meeting at 6 AM, even though it was the day after New Year's Eve. It had been "too many weeks" since they'd had it (gratefully they'd had the grace not to meet on Christmas morning).

Sometimes meetings just need to be cancelled, rescheduled, or eliminated all together. Almost always they need to be shortened.

I'm definitely an anti-meeting type of guy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #35
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Wow. I had a stake president once who held a stake priesthood leadership meeting Sunday morning on Mother's Day, because "there was no other week to hold it." Once when New Year's was on a Sunday, the stake still chose to hold High Council meeting at 6 AM, even though it was the day after New Year's Eve. It had been "too many weeks" since they'd had it (gratefully they'd had the grace not to meet on Christmas morning).

Sometimes meetings just need to be cancelled, rescheduled, or eliminated all together. Almost always they need to be shortened.

I'm definitely an anti-meeting type of guy.
Hey- we agree on something church related!

I can't believe how many meetings I was involved in as HP Group Leader. PEC, welfare meeting, pre-welfare meeting, PPIs, Ward council, the list goes on forever. A typical Sunday was over 7 hours of meetings, including church. Almost every single one of those meetings was at least partially redundant with another meeting. PEC could be 20 minutes long. Pre-welfare meeting could be 5.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If I'm ever bishop, I will have a buzzer set to 5 minutes. Each leader/issue only gets 5 minutes.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #37
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If I'm ever bishop, I will have a buzzer set to 5 minutes. Each leader/issue only gets 5 minutes.
You must be living in a righteous, upper middle class ward with few converts, few unemployed and few "special needs" families.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

My strategy in this student ward (where the probability of getting called into the EQP or bishopric is higher than average for a 24 year old) has been to wear blue shirts more often than white to church, miss church entirely at least once every 8 weeks, and not go to the activities. Also, sleeping through sacrament meeting on occasion helps.

So far, so good.
That won't work, Lingo. Sorry.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That won't work, Lingo. Sorry.
Lingo knows that. He's vying for leadership callings.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

So far, so good.
By the way Lingo, I like your new avatar.