cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #171
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Btw, I used the fact that BYU had procduced a play about Helmuth Huebner, and that BYU had produced a documentary about him, to buttress my claim that the church approves of violating the law in support of human rights. During my lesson to the YM, attended by bishopric and former stake president counselor.

I'm glad you're concentrating on the fundamentals with your YM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #172
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm glad you're concentrating on the fundamentals with your YM.
If morality and ethical living is not fundamental, I don't know what is.

You dispute me?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #173
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes upholding the justness of law itself means disobeying an unjust law. You have to be pretty sure of the law's unjustness though. MLK, the French underground during WW II, the students in Tianemen Square, the monks in Myanmar...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #174
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Put it this way. If people in our religion can't figure out that collaborating with Nazis and genocidal regimes is wrong, I see little point in our religion.

I'll take the religion of those that sheltered the jews at great personal risk to the religion of the Mormons who collaborated with the Nazis.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #175
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Sometimes upholding the justness of law itself means disobeying an unjust law. You have to be pretty sure of the law's unjustness though. MLK, the French underground during WW II, the students in Tianemen Square, the monks in Myanmar...
D&C 134 spells this out.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #176
Indy Coug

Quote:
Put it this way. If people in our religion can't figure out that collaborating with Nazis and genocidal regimes is wrong, I see little point in our religion.
If you spend enough time teaching them the fundamentals, that point is a no-brainer.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #177
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If you spend enough time teaching them the fundamentals, that point is a no-brainer.
Nothing is a no-brainer with kids in the church. A YM from my hometown committed a planned armed robbery/heist of a movie theatre. A YW, now of adult age, was arrested for having sex with her probatee (she was a probation officer). My Priest advisor (he is now a stake president in the west) had a somewhat troubled oldest son (he was 11 and refused to come to church), who is now in prison.

These kids can't even tell you half the time what books are in what standard work.

I don't take anything for granted. There is more that I can say on this topic, but I will leave it at that.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #178
Indy Coug

Quote:
Nothing is a no-brainer with kids in the church. A YM from my hometown committed a planned armed robbery/heist of a movie theatre. A YW, now of adult age, was arrested for having sex with her probatee (she was a probation officer). My Priest advisor (he is now a stake president in the west) had a somewhat troubled oldest son (he was 11 and refused to come to church), who is now in prison.
Yeah, sounds like my branch. That said, spending time on the finer points of the clash between D&C 134:5 and AofF 12 to me seems to be a little off the beaten path for guys who are still figuring out where in their Triple Combination (assuming they have one to begin with) the D&C is.