cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Delbert L. Stapley Letter

Any of you see this yet?

http://www.boston.com/news/daily/24/delbert_stapley.pdf

It's a letter from Apostle Stapley to George Romney in 1964. The note on the letter indicates that Romney answered with a hand-written letter. It sure would be interesting to read his response.

The letter is horrendous. And the most shocking part is the threat to Romney implying that God strikes down those that help the "negroes" with a quick, seemingly accidental death, including his friend who had the audacity to ask DOM if the priesthood could be extended to the blacks. If this represents the sentiment among the apostles in 1964, it is no small wonder that it took another 14 years for the change to be made.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Any of you see this yet?

It's a letter from Apostle Stapley to George Romney in 1964. The note on the letter indicates that Romney answered with a hand-written letter. It sure would be interesting to read his response.

The letter is horrendous. And the most shocking part is the threat to Romney implying that God strikes down those that help the "negroes" with a quick, seemingly accidental death, including his friend who had the audacity to ask DOM if the priesthood could be extended to the blacks. If this represents the sentiment among the apostles in 1964, it is no small wonder that it took another 14 years for the change to be made.
I've seen it. It made the rounds right after Romney announced his candidacy. People who think that Church leaders don't ever hold erroneous opinions might be shaken up by that letter.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Any of you see this yet?

Folks, can it be any more obvious why it took until 1978? By the way I love that line at the end "now, don't think I am against the negro for I have several in my employ..."

Last edited by SteelBlue; 12-22-2007 at 05:46 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

That adds a little context to the heat Romney is taking for so enthusiastically embracing the religion of his fathers.

Honestly, how can people read stuff like that and still insist that apostles and prophets speak for God? It baffles me.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Any of you see this yet?

Now you tell me. What is more embarassing to the church. A letter like this or a "scandal" at BYU on the football team.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
That adds a little context to the heat Romney is taking for so enthusiastically embracing the religion of his fathers.

Honestly, how can people read stuff like that and still insist that apostles and prophets speak for God? It baffles me.
Because some of us aren't naive enough to believe God doesn't allow even his leaders to make mistakes and to hold erroneous beliefs. That really is as simpleton as believing in the inerrancy of the Bible.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if I flippantly said that Romney was like unto someone who says they treat their slaves well, what is this guy like? Yikes.

This is unabashed racism, rationalized and justified by the sins of those that preceeded him.

It does tend to go agains tthe theory that the apostles were deserately hoping for a revelation that would bring blacks into full fellowship. I don't think this was on his wishlist at all.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, if I flippantly said that Romney was like unto someone who says they treat their slaves well, what is this guy like? Yikes.

This is unabashed racism, rationalized and justified by the sins of those that preceeded him.

It does tend to go agains tthe theory that the apostles were deserately hoping for a revelation that would bring blacks into full fellowship. I don't think this was on his wishlist at all.
With Alvin Dyer and Stapely, it's not wonder it took decades to get it right.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:28 AM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I really thought this was going to be a 10 page thread.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I really thought this was going to be a 10 page thread.
Yeah, no kidding. I sense some fatigue on the topic.