cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think you're really underestimating the potential for unintended consequences. Bringing a fresh public light on to all those statements over all those decades, despite a current and re-emphasized denial, could have a backlash effect. To say nothing of the opportunism it would smack of in the current political environment.

And then it puts the church in the dicey position of explaining the difference between prophetic doctrinal pronouncements, and prophets' opinions--a debate we can find NO resolution to here on Cougarguard. You think the media will be more forgiving than SeattleUte? Or you, for that matter?
That's exactly the logic I would expect from you, Tex. "All is well." "Don't rock the boat." And I suppose you could be right. But I doubt it. I think I will side with Elder Jensen on this one.

Interestingly, there is zero evidence that anyone in church leadership believes in the folklore. Yet there is hesitation to correct obviously false doctrine. That seems more like the actions of a parochial western US church, and less like the actions of a confident, progressive, international faith.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Agree.

I do see some merit to Tex's point on unintended consequences. Everyone remembers Danny Ainge as a biter, even though it was Tree Rollins that bit him, not vice versa. If Danny Ainge called a press conference to tell his side of the story, I'm sure a year later even more people would remember Ainge as a biter.
That's quite a stretch.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's exactly the logic I would expect from you, Tex. "All is well." "Don't rock the boat." And I suppose you could be right. But I doubt it. I think I will side with Elder Jensen on this one.
Oh, that's nice. What should I say now, "I think I will side with President Hinckley on this one"?

My GA is bigger than your GA. Come on, Leb.

Quote:
Interestingly, there is zero evidence that anyone in church leadership believes in the folklore. Yet there is hesitation to correct obviously false doctrine. That seems more like the actions of a parochial western US church, and less like the actions of a confident, progressive, international faith.
There is zero evidence anyone in chruch leadership believes in, supports, teaches, or practices polygamy. Yet the stereotype persists. That doesn't mean we have to put out continual press releases about it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Oh, that's nice. What should I say now, "I think I will side with President Hinckley on this one"?

That's not how I meant it, but if you want to twist it that way, go ahead. The point is that this is not a trivial issue promoted by wacky fringe mormons whom you so love to marginalize.

Quote:
There is zero evidence anyone in chruch leadership believes in, supports, teaches, or practices polygamy. Yet the stereotype persists. That doesn't mean we have to put out continual press releases about it.
Weak analogy. Do we classify polygamy as "folklore"? Is there any evidence that church leadership unanimously considers polygamy to be false doctrine?

We still practice polygamy, BTW. Celestial polygamy.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Tex

Quote:
That's not how I meant it, but if you want to twist it that way, go ahead. The point is that this is not a trivial issue promoted by wacky fringe mormons whom you so love to marginalize.
I didn't say anything about wacky fringe Mormons ... in fact, my response was quite reasoned and non-emotional. Stop being so defensive.

And since you brought it up, I'm not sure Jensen would appreciate your characterization of "his side" and "Hinckley's side."

Quote:
Weak analogy. Do we classify polygamy as "folklore"? Is there any evidence that church leadership unanimously considers polygamy to be false doctrine?
The ideas fall under different categories, yes, but we're talking public perception here. Listen, I can't prove it ... it's my anecdotes vs. yours, so we're really not getting any resolution to this, although it's interesting you didn't address any of the points I made.

Quote:
We still practice polygamy, BTW. Celestial polygamy.
Complete red herring.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

You do realize, of course, that the church DOES issue press releases about polygamy, right?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #17
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Historians (and bloggers and internet riff-raff) have usurped the prophets. How many times do I have to say it?
For some of us to believe it? Not too many times.

For it to be true? No such amount exists.

For you to be satisfied by the sound of your own voice? Likewise.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I didn't say anything about wacky fringe Mormons ... in fact, my response was quite reasoned and non-emotional. Stop being so defensive.

And since you brought it up, I'm not sure Jensen would appreciate your characterization of "his side" and "Hinckley's side."
LOL. Classic.

"Don't be defensive" .... followed by an accusation that I am improperly characterizing discord among the brethren.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #19
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You do realize, of course, that the church DOES issue press releases about polygamy, right?
Not of the nature Leb is talking about.

Quote:
LOL. Classic.

"Don't be defensive" .... followed by an accusation that I am improperly characterizing discord among the brethren.
Classic indeed. Anatomy of Lebowski post: 1 part substance, 2 parts snark.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #20
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Not of the nature Leb is talking about.

Classic indeed. Anatomy of Lebowski post: 1 part substance, 2 parts snark.

huh?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote