cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #31
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Perhaps this is what Elder Oaks meant by you don't go against the leaders even if they are wrong.

From a purely organizational viewpoint this is what you have to do to keep the troops in line. What if members started actively opposing the churches recent stance on illegal immigrants. In the privacy of your own thoughts I don't think the church cares what you think. It is OK as long as what you do won't lead to harm of the structure or organization.

We are allowed to have our freedom on many many issues. However, if the church takes a stand, it isn't a democracy. You fall into line, at least publicly.

You have to decide what is most important. Full association or another path.
This seems the most reasonable position they can take, but the obvious solution to the problem is for them to quit meddling in politics and to therefore avoid presenting their members with these moral dilemmas.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #32
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Another lesson from this incident--for some of us it would be best to turn down callings to serve in the church. Because our service will be used as a weapon against us. No one will excommunicate the curmudgeon in the back row with 0% hometeaching and no tie. But by golly, if you are in MoTab, or have a stake calling, watch out.
Good I'm safe.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:32 AM   #33
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Ah, the pedophile argument. Good one. Pwned. The two issues are strikingly similar.

I predict your next post will be one of the two:

1. The "what if a person wants to marry an animal?" argument
2. The story about your fraternity voting and blackballs.
You don't like the fraternity story? I would think I could use it 4-5 times before it loses it's pizzazzz.

I think the person marrying an animal argument is probably 80-100 years off.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:33 AM   #34
woot

Quote:
It is already happening, hermano.

My niece was in a HS play called (quite humerously) "The Phantom of the Oprah." I asked her if they had a black student playing Oprah and my niece swiftly corrected me saying that african american is the terminology of chouce.

I dont view this is PC gone amok, but rather as evidence of your hypothesis.

I think in 20 years, we will all look back at this and say to ourselves, "why the heck did I care so much if two gay people wanted to wear rings and get married?" I dont think homosexuality will be acceptable within the Gospel, but I do think that, as a whole, we will be more aware and sensitive in greater numbers towards gays.

Unfortunately, we will have also likely moved on to the next group to fear, hate, and ostracize. Maybe amputees? The elderly? Cyclists?
I agree with you, but must point out that there is nothing politically correct about "african american" vs "black." The former excludes black folks living outside america, as well as white americans from Africa, unless we consider that every american is an african american, some just further removed from their continent of origin than others.

I once heard a native american guy declare that the preferred term to describe his people is "American Indian." Similar to african american, it just doesn't make any sense and I will therefore not use it.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:44 AM   #35
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You don't like the fraternity story? I would think I could use it 4-5 times before it loses it's pizzazzz.

I think the person marrying an animal argument is probably 80-100 years off.
I will admit that I have a soft spot for your fraternity story.

Mine was just a cheap attempt to goad you into telling it 2 weeks before you normally would have.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #36
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I agree with you, but must point out that there is nothing politically correct about "african american" vs "black." The former excludes black folks living outside america, as well as white americans from Africa, unless we consider that every american is an african american, some just further removed from their continent of origin than others.

I once heard a native american guy declare that the preferred term to describe his people is "American Indian." Similar to african american, it just doesn't make any sense and I will therefore not use it.
You should take that point up with black folks. go into a predominantly black neighborhood and go door to to door, letting them all know the error of their ways.

There was a guy in my BYU ward who was from Joberg, South Africa. White as a sheet. And he jokingly told people he was African American. He actually was correct, I guess.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #37
woot

Quote:
You should take that point up with black folks. go into a predominantly black neighborhood and go door to to door, letting them all know the error of their ways.

There was a guy in my BYU ward who was from Joberg, South Africa. White as a sheet. And he jokingly told people he was African American. He actually was correct, I guess.
That's the idea. It just doesn't make any sense. Of course the other issue is that white folks would need to become "european americans" or something in order for "african american" to make sense.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #38
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I will admit that I have a soft spot for your fraternity story.

Mine was just a cheap attempt to goad you into telling it 2 weeks before you normally would have.
One thing that was a little disconcerting to me when I was young involved the fraternity and my first Temple venture. A couple of things in the fraternity ritual I was sworn to keep secret. Later in the Temple I did the same two things and was sworn to keep that secret.

Don't ask what the two are. I doubly swore to keep them secret.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #39
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The SL Trib loves to do anything to stir up contention when it comes to the LDS Church, so it isn't surprising that this article was written. I've always decided that when it comes to something like this situation, because it's in the Trib, it's most likely not as bad as it sounds, just like stuff in the DesNews is most likely not as rosy as reported.

It seems that every time something comes up involving a member of the LDS church, especially if it involves some sort of illegal activity, the Trib is more than glad to report it and point out that the alleged criminal is LDS. I remember about 15 years or so ago, there was some sort of white collar crime that ended in homicide and there were three who were charged with murder. One of the perps was LDS and it was reported as such, but nothing was said about the religious affiliation of the other two.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 AM   #40
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

A few weeks ago I told my bishop that I supported gay marriage. He shrugged and said he personally preferred civil unions.

Folks should move on out to our neck of the woods.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote