cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #41
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The SL Trib loves to do anything to stir up contention when it comes to the LDS Church, so it isn't surprising that this article was written. I've always decided that when it comes to something like this situation, because it's in the Trib, it's most likely not as bad as it sounds, just like stuff in the DesNews is most likely not as rosy as reported.

It seems that every time something comes up involving a member of the LDS church, especially if it involves some sort of illegal activity, the Trib is more than glad to report it and point out that the alleged criminal is LDS. I remember about 15 years or so ago, there was some sort of white collar crime that ended in homicide and there were three who were charged with murder. One of the perps was LDS and it was reported as such, but nothing was said about the religious affiliation of the other two.
Somewhat understandable. There are people who feel it is shoved down there throat in this area, Utah, that mormons are better people than everyone else. When people feel that way they look for every opportunity to point out, you have problems too. I thnk that is some of what underscores a lot of the dislike for BYU.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You should take that point up with black folks. go into a predominantly black neighborhood and go door to to door, letting them all know the error of their ways.

There was a guy in my BYU ward who was from Joberg, South Africa. White as a sheet. And he jokingly told people he was African American. He actually was correct, I guess.
Why can't we simply refer to them as American?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #43
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Somewhat understandable. There are people who feel it is shoved down there throat in this area, Utah, that mormons are better people than everyone else. When people feel that way they look for every opportunity to point out, you have problems too. I thnk that is some of what underscores a lot of the dislike for BYU.
I can agree with this when it comes to individuals. But a newspaper? I always thought the reporting of news was supposed to be objective.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:07 AM   #44
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That would be a good solution too. The reason why most of these labels are so silly is because skin color really is the only operative factor here. Black skin was developed in Africa (because that's where humanity emerged), but it was maintained in various equatorial locations outside of africa, while white skin developed in all sorts of non-equatorial locations. I've already mentioned how the entire concept of human races is completely absurd. Other features associated with black skin are not actually universal, and those who possess none of the usual features other than black skin are still considered black. Therefore, black and white are the only sensible labels, if a label must be used.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #45
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can agree with this when it comes to individuals. But a newspaper? I always thought the reporting of news was supposed to be objective.
Even if we assume they are trying to be objective, something like that might sneak through due to underlying personal biases. It also might be that these stories/mentions of LDS membership are just very relevant and they assume their readership would be interested to know about it.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
That is what I prefer. Once you start introducing ancestry, where does it end? How many different lineages do you highlight when introducing yourself?

I think "afro-carib" is a cool sounding lineage. I have sometimes toyed with the idea of using it personally, but I have a feeling people would call my bluff.

I also like "pacific islander."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #47
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Even if we assume they are trying to be objective, something like that might sneak through due to underlying personal biases. It also might be that these stories/mentions of LDS membership are just very relevant and they assume their readership would be interested to know about it.
In most cases, I can agree with this. In the particular story I mentioned, it turned out that the guy had been an inactive Mormon for many years before the crime occurred.

I don't believe that the Trib has an agenda; rather, I think it's biased and is willing to be the mouthpiece of those who dislike the presence of the LDS church.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 AM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
That is what I prefer. Once you start introducing ancestry, where does it end? How many different lineages do you highlight when introducing yourself?

I think "afro-carib" is a cool sounding lineage. I have sometimes toyed with the idea of using it personally, but I have a feeling people would call my bluff.

I also like "pacific islander."
Since the demise of the Soviet Union, I prefer to refer to myself as a Super-Powerite.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #49
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Bingo. I think many of the non-LDS people I work with have this frustration. The Collie comments in particular just will not go away. Any time something bad happens at work, there is always some sort of "so and so wasn't living right, on and off the field" quip.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 AM   #50
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is already happening, hermano.

My niece was in a HS play called (quite humerously) "The Phantom of the Oprah." I asked her if they had a black student playing Oprah and my niece swiftly corrected me saying that african american is the terminology of chouce.

I dont view this is PC gone amok, but rather as evidence of your hypothesis.

I think in 20 years, we will all look back at this and say to ourselves, "why the heck did I care so much if two gay people wanted to wear rings and get married?" I dont think homosexuality will be acceptable within the Gospel, but I do think that, as a whole, we will be more aware and sensitive in greater numbers towards gays.

Unfortunately, we will have also likely moved on to the next group to fear, hate, and ostracize. Maybe amputees? The elderly? Cyclists?
FWIW, "black" is the preferred term over African American in the Associated Press Stylebook. American Indian is preferred over Native American.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote