cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Tex, as far as the Beck talk I come down on your side of things as far as what I believe Sr. Beck intended to convey. But as I listened to her talk I immediately knew that it was going to be a very controversial one and I'll bet you did as well. I think Flystripper is absolutely correct when he lists the Mother's who know rhetoric as the reason some people took offense.
This is doubtless one of the reasons offense was taken. It's too bad that it's nonsense nonetheless, and that those who've taken offense can't see it for what it is.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Or, the Politcally-correct, inoffensive version...

Mothers who know desire to bear children. If you don't desire to bear children for reasons acceptable to you & the Lord, you are of course exempted from this, and can therefore know even though you do not have the desire to bear children...

Mothers who know honor sacred ordinances and covenants. I have visited sacrament meetings in some of the poorest places on the earth where mothers have dressed with great care in their Sunday best despite walking for miles on dusty streets and using worn-out public transportation. They bring daughters in clean and ironed dresses with hair brushed to perfection; their sons wear white shirts and ties and have missionary haircuts. These mothers know they are going to sacrament meeting, where covenants are renewed. These mothers have made and honor temple covenants. They know that if they are not pointing their children to the temple, they are not pointing them toward desired eternal goals. These mothers have influence and power.

Of course as long as you point your children to the temple, if you are in a location where hair styles make it appropriate to have long, unkempt hair, cannot afford such luxuries as shirts & shoes, or have some other issue preventing you from reaching the ideal, you are still a mother who knows.

etc. etc.

Ridiculous.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

The interesting part to me in all of this is the aggressive way that Tex responds to those who disagree with his view of the talk. He is a perfect example of a personality type that I don't like to associate with on subjects where they are blinded by their own opinions. I wonder if it is because he was raised by a Mother that Knew.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
The interesting part to me in all of this is the aggressive way that Tex responds to those who disagree with his view of the talk. He is a perfect example of a personality type that I don't like to associate with on subjects where they are blinded by their own opinions. I wonder if it is because he was raised by a Mother that Knew.
My weakness is that I respond in kind.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Are you similarly offended by the way others here respond to those who disagree with their view of the talk?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Are you similarly offended by the way others here respond to those who disagree with their view of the talk?
I'm not offended per se...just concerned that Tex, exUte, and others can't even imagine why someone could be offended by the talk without it being a personal failing. They can't comprehend a world where offense was actually given, not taken.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I'm not offended per se...just concerned that Tex, exUte, and others can't even imagine why someone could be offended by the talk without it being a personal failing. They can't comprehend a world where offense was actually given, not taken.
Do you believe Sister Beck intended to give offense?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok, K-Dog. Is it fair to see you can't imagine a world where people give their leaders the benefit of the doubt?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Do you believe Sister Beck intended to give offense?
I do. I think her intention was to shock the women of the Church into a response.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #20
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Ok, K-Dog. Is it fair to see you can't imagine a world where people give their leaders the benefit of the doubt?
Why won't you just admit that some people, apparently a lot of people, could be offended by the tone, style, delivery, and message of the talk without having a personal failing?

What does giving her the benefit of the doubt have to do with it? Are you implicitly admitting that she did something wrong and needed us to "cover" for her by giving her the benefit of the doubt?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr