cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
So after sending out a ping, the one thing that seemed inconsistent to a source in the choir was the bit about LDS-only music, since the choir is about to put out an Americana-type CD, though she recognized that CDs are quite a different animal from the other roles of the choir. The response was that this seems as likely a theory on what happened as any other idea being thrown around.
You hit on the difference exactly. There is a substantial distinction between a performance on Sunday and a CD in a totally different context. This is yet another reason I believe the contact was Packer. He has noted almost this exact distinction in general conference addresses. Just go to LDS.org and do a search for Packer and music.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #32
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
To those who are giving Cali Coug a hard time for not revealing his source, why would he make it up? It's not like he's disclosing a juicy list of brethren who have read the sealed portion of the BOM; rather he gave a brief timeline of the final few actions of the friggin' former choir director. Yeah real tabloid material.
A voice of reason.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
To those who are giving Cali Coug a hard time for not revealing his source, why would he make it up? It's not like he's disclosing a juicy list of brethren who have read the sealed portion of the BOM; rather he gave a brief timeline of the final few actions of the friggin' former choir director. Yeah real tabloid material.
I don't care if he reveals his "source" or not. It's just kinda funny what juicy little rumors we like to spread around, if we can make our pet disfavored apostle look bad.

It's almost as if no one has ever played the phone game before.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #34
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't care if he reveals his "source" or not. It's just kinda funny what juicy little rumors we like to spread around, if we can make our pet disfavored apostle look bad.

It's almost as if no one has ever played the phone game before.
If the story is true, does it bother you? If it doesn't, then you must have reached the conclusion it doesn't make anyone look bad.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #35
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default So far I have inquired of a member of the choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not criticizing Cali for not giving up a source. I'm just saying I'm not going to get worked up about as long as it is hearsay.

Also, I realize music in the church is crappy, and it is no shock that the church wouldn't want black gospel music. The church has its own "brand" and they want to stick to it.

I might not like it. But I'm old enough to know that is how things work.

Now if Jessop comes out and says a GA made racist statements, then we can talk.
as well as a 'religion' reporter that has pretty good access to anyone in the Church. Nothing.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #36
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
If the story is true, does it bother you? If it doesn't, then you must have reached the conclusion it doesn't make anyone look bad.
After these many months of reading posts by Tex, I think what would make him happy is if you ever say anything critical of "one" of the brethern, you follow it up with saying nice things about "five" of the brethern.

Even if it doesn't make him happy, maybe it would slow his "all CG does is attack the brethern" posts.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What part? The "I think it might be..." or the "I'm not sure..."? Or the "a friend of a friend of a friend" perhaps? Maybe you could share a good Three Nephite story with us too.

Sarcasm aside, there's always more to these stories, and you have about 3% of this one in your post. Even honest, professional journalists who actually name their sources get stuff wrong, sometimes very wrong. I'm inclined to give both Jessop and Packer (the next man in line to lead the church, lest we forget) the benefit of the doubt.

I don't even mind that the apostles' human frailties are occasionally exposed. They are human after all. It's the glee that some folks take in it that really bugs.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #38
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What part? The "I think it might be..." or the "I'm not sure..."? Or the "a friend of a friend of a friend" perhaps? Maybe you could share a good Three Nephite story with us too.

Sarcasm aside, there's always more to these stories, and you have about 3% of this one in your post. Even honest, professional journalists who actually name their sources get stuff wrong, sometimes very wrong. I'm inclined to give both Jessop and Packer (the next man in line to lead the church, lest we forget) the benefit of the doubt.

I don't even mind that the apostles' human frailties are occasionally exposed. They are human after all. It's the glee that some folks take in it that really bugs.
I take no glee from seeing the apostles have human frailties. I don't think you have accused me personally of this by the way.

There are those who believe their words should be followed straight down the line. There are even those that think their words should be taken as commandment. Personally, I am OK with that if that person wants to take the words that way for them.

What really bugs me is when these people start trying to push their belief system in that regard on me. It is not enough for them to say, I don't agree with you. You probably won't believe some of the responses I have had to my statement, "the bretherns words are counsel, not commandment." It isn't that they say they disagree with me, it is that they say I am leading people to apostacy when I say such things.

I accept the human frailties of the brethern. Heck, I take comfort in knowing Peter, as great as he was, had set backs. My noting of those frailties when I do isn't a condemnation of the brethern, it is a notation to those who think we should be blindly following everything that they don't have a foundation to stand on when preaching to me.

Last edited by BYU71; 04-24-2008 at 02:30 PM.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #39
Cali Coug

Quote:

Believe it or don't. But I am 100% confident this happened.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #40
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not criticizing Cali for not giving up a source. I'm just saying I'm not going to get worked up about as long as it is hearsay.

Also, I realize music in the church is crappy, and it is no shock that the church wouldn't want black gospel music. The church has its own "brand" and they want to stick to it.

I might not like it. But I'm old enough to know that is how things work.

Now if Jessop comes out and says a GA made racist statements, then we can talk.
The worst part of church music is the idiots who want to sing new songs no one's ever heard from the hymnal in Sacrament meeting.

1. No one's heard of those songs because they suck big, hairy, sweaty balls.
2. Few are the people able to divert enough attention from their kids to give enough focus to the music to sing it properly, causing:
a) Only old people who can't hear that they're no longer in-tune and sing extra-loud because they can't hear themselves anyway, and
b) People mumbling around with the basic tune, about half a beat behind.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"

Last edited by Spaz; 04-24-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote