cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Question: In your opinion, why did these families feel obligated to withdraw their membership? Why not just quit attending? Did they seem to have a psychological need for closure, or what?
Those who actually resigned shared some similarities. There was a dominant husband (3) or wife (1) who, after a period of inactivity, convinced their families that resignation was the only way end the limbo and bring about what to them was peace of mind. I don't know enough to say that they achieved that elusive goal.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus View Post
The stake president even funded a self styled DNA expert (and protege of Hartman Rector) by the name of Rod Meldrum (http://www.bookofmormonevidence.org) to come speak at a stake fireside and discuss his scientific and historical evidence that BofM events were centered in the Great Lakes region.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your travails but reading these lines caused me to choose between gulping at once too much hot coffee or ruining my key board. I have a sore throat. But it was worth the laugh. It's like creationism cubed. I should hope he did more harm than good. This is too funny to be true clear down to the part about him being "a protege of Hartman Rector." I'm sure firebrand Rector has some awesome natural history creds!

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The BoM teaches us that people turn to God when times get hard.

Times are not hard right now.

History tells us that times are not always good.

My intuition tells me that people will turn to God again. When the time is right.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Very interesting. This is something we have discussed at length. Credit goes to SIEQ for the phrase "lack of innoculation."

Hiding history will not help. Forthrightly tackling it from the beginning is the key.

Also, at the end of the day, people that are convinced of the truthfulness of the BoM based on "how much it makes sense" or its historicity will always be on an unfirm foundation.

This is a church that is based on the gifts of the Spirit. Without them, there is nothing. And that has to be the underpinning of all tempests that will fall upon us.
Agreed. What it comes down to for me is my personal spiritual experiences and journey. I don't need to have every last question answered perfectly right now, as practicing the principles of the gospel and following the Spirit works for me and makes me happy. Not all scholarship pushes one away from the church either. It's a huge mistake to make that conclusion, IMO.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The fact that he had to be paid says enough. Also in hard times, people will buy snake oil.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The BoM teaches us that people turn to God when times get hard.

Times are not hard right now.

History tells us that times are not always good.

My intuition tells me that people will turn to God again. When the time is right.
No. You stole that from Tolstoy.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Only Tolstoy I have read is Anna Karenina. Is it from AK?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #18
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The spirit will bring things to your rememberance....
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Wouldn't academia support the approach of disproving rather than proving a hypothesis? The null hypothesis is never accepted; you either reject it or fail to reject it.

If LDS apologists have taken the stance that the truthfulness needs to be rejected rather than proven, then they are merely being consistent with modern empirical analysis.
Maybe in some respects, but the archaeological or historical arguments for the BoM need something to support them, not just a John Sorenson saying that a lack of horses in America doesn't disprove the book. In my opinion, at least.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
This is a very interesting subject.

I think the church would really benefit from marketing itself to a wider audience than just those people who are willing to believe that it is 'the one true church on the face of the earth.'

There are masses of people out there who would benefit enormously from gospel teachings and the LDS lifestyle, but they will never be able to believe the authenticity of the Book of Mormon, or in the restoration of the priesthood keys. I think we would benefit greatly by figuring out a way for these masses to be 'members in full' without having to swallow the whole cow in one bite.

I realize there are plenty of closet apostates who are already in this situation, but that isn't what I am talking about. I also realize that such an ecumenical approach runs the risk of diluting our message, but so be it. I just see too much benefit from even the slightest exposure to Christ's gospel.
Wow. I had you pegged for a mullah for some reason.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote