cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble Brewing

with the LDS handbook brouhaha. Apparently wikileaks, via scribd, posted a pdf of the handbook online in mid-April of this year. The LDS church claimed copyright infringement and scribd removed the material:

http://www.scribd.com/word/removal/52827

According to this article, the handbook was still available two days ago (May 13) but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. A search of the site only turns up the 1999 edition of the handbook.

http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Mormon..._over_handbook

The article compares the LDS complaints with complaints received from the Chinese government, a Swiss bank, and the Scientologists. Quite the ensemble of provocateurs.

I wonder how the church convinced wikileaks to take down the page, in light of this quote:
Quote:
As of May 13 Wikileaks had not taken down the material on the Church Handbook of Instructions, and a second webpage at the site with a different version of the material was also still available. In a statement to Wikinews, a Wikileaks representative commented on the material hosted at the site: "WikiLeaks will not remove the handbooks, which are of substantial interest to current and former mormons [sic]. WikiLeaks will remain a place where people from around the world can safely reveal the truth."
Or did I just miss something?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't underestimate the power of raising your arm to the square.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post

I wonder how the church convinced wikileaks to take down the page, in light of this quote:
http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Mormon...ons_%281999%29

You need to get back in the locker. You are a day late, and a dollar short.

It's available for download this very second.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
with the LDS handbook brouhaha. Apparently wikileaks, via scribd, posted a pdf of the handbook online in mid-April of this year. The LDS church claimed copyright infringement and scribd removed the material:

http://www.scribd.com/word/removal/52827

According to this article, the handbook was still available two days ago (May 13) but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. A search of the site only turns up the 1999 edition of the handbook.

http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Mormon..._over_handbook

The article compares the LDS complaints with complaints received from the Chinese government, a Swiss bank, and the Scientologists. Quite the ensemble of provocateurs.

Or did I just miss something?
Just curious but why does the church care? what kind of information would be had in the handbooks? Do we have a secret sauce to protect?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Just curious but why does the church care? what kind of information would be had in the handbooks? Do we have a secret sauce to protect?
I think it is just a matter of controlling its distribution. It's not like we can order our own personal copies as members.

I think they don't want it to be fodder for discussion. And they don't want members to be able to say "Our Bishop is not following the handbook" because this might undermine faith and support.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Mormon...ons_%281999%29

You need to get back in the locker. You are a day late, and a dollar short.

It's available for download this very second.
I thought it was an edition more recent than this 1999 one. Is this not the case?

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...13&postcount=2

That's why I couldn't figure out what I was missing
Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

They have the 1999 handbook on their site.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Several points. There is one more recent edition.

And the Church is concerned with trade secret information, which they must protect in order to maintain their rights thereunder, and they don't want the procedures which change from time to time, as fodder. However, any member can go in and review the sections with permission from the Bishop and/or State President. I have reviewed them on many occasions.

The Church will probably sue and there will probably be an agreement at some point.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

And the Church is concerned with trade secret information, which they must protect in order to maintain their rights thereunder, and they don't want the procedures which change from time to time, as fodder. However, any member can go in and review the sections with permission from the Bishop and/or State President. I have reviewed them on many occasions.

The Church will probably sue and there will probably be an agreement at some point.
I can easily see the church's point of view, but generally I think the internet is pretty amazing the way it can instantly disseminate information to much of the world. Knowledge is power.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

What trade secrets do we have?