cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

As I suspected, only one person out of many suspect it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that you try to get your F'ing facts straight when you spew your Bull Shit.

Yeah, sure, the LDS Church promotes suicide among their Gay members, it also promotes teen pregnancy. What an Ass Clown.

You want to talk about suicide you need to go to one of the small Native Alaskan settlements in the nether reaches of Alaska. I suppose you will say the LDS church has a big hand in assisting the suicide rates there, also?

Why don't you shut your hole if you have nothing but Shit and Hatred to back you up.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Why don't you shut your hole if you have nothing but Shit and Hatred to back you up.
Hmmm. I guess that means I have to shut my hole too.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see where Mike says the church promotes suicide and teen pregancy. He points out that some who feel they are adversely affected by certain church policies choose to commit suicide, and some feel overwhelmed by sexual curiosity and misunderstanding.

I think the key word in this gorilla is misunderstanding. If an individual sees a certain policy as repressive, forcing a life without hope of happiness and chooses to end it, the quickest blame-shifting copout is always to blame the institution.

The question should be raised, who convinced the deceased to make that decision? When his head was filled with anti-gay, anti-church, pro-sexual media and pro-rebellion propaganda, how much was offset by actually meeting with church counselors and file leaders to better understand the position, and praying, and scripture reading? Was his mind and heart open to gaining understanding, or closed off and convinced he was a hopeless victim?

Only the individual knows.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Is it possible that you try to get your F'ing facts straight when you spew your Bull Shit.

Yeah, sure, the LDS Church promotes suicide among their Gay members, it also promotes teen pregnancy. What an Ass Clown.

You want to talk about suicide you need to go to one of the small Native Alaskan settlements in the nether reaches of Alaska. I suppose you will say the LDS church has a big hand in assisting the suicide rates there, also?

Oh, man. Your post doesn't really deserve a response, but here goes. Are you really saying that a high suicide rate among a non-LDS population of native Alaskans proves anything about suicide among LDS gays? Awesome logic there. Teen pregnancy? Where did that come from? I think psychiatrists call that a loose association. It has no relevence whatsoever with the issue you're trying to address.

Your use of capitalization to emphasize words is interesting. My 6-year old daughter does the same thing -- random capitalized words in the middle of sentences. But my 8-year old son doesn't do that anymore.

Last edited by CardiacCoug; 07-04-2008 at 02:38 PM.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Let's be frank and honest: if you are gay and intend to have an intimate relationship, whether physical or emotional or both, it's best to break ways completely with the church and not give it a second thought.

Unfortunately that is not possible for some, who still wish they were in good stead with the church.

The only opinions I actually really care about are the people here that have dealt with the issue in their own families. The rest of you are just guessing and pontificating and not speaking from real experience.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I think the rant was aimed at an amalgam of my post and mikewaters's post.

I agreed with mikewaters and opined that the somewhat repressive Church culture here in Utah likely has something to do with the high suicide rate. I also referenced the very high teen pregnancy rate as another possible example of strict Church culture leading to ironic consequences.

There is no way to prove empirically that Church culture leads to these things, but I dont see the hypothesis as being that outlandish....or at least outlandish enough to merit such an aggressive response about hatred and hole-shutting.

If there truly is little to no corrolation, then what would someone like T Blue offer as an alternative explanation?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The only opinions I actually really care about are the people here that have dealt with the issue in their own families. The rest of you are just guessing and pontificating and not speaking from real experience.
Maybe some of us extend our ears, time, love and compassion beyond the immediate family.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In a culture obsessed with perfection, an awkward gay Mormon teenager in Utah must feel like one of the most imperfect people on earth.

True or false?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In a culture obsessed with perfection, an awkward gay Mormon teenager in Utah must feel like one of the most imperfect people on earth.

True or false?
My friend grew up on the bench, near Hogle Zoo, went to East HS.

He said he went through phases of depression and self-loathing because he hated who he was. After BYU, he moved up to SLC for awhile, but eventually moved to the Bay Area. He said leaving Utah was hard because he loved his home, but living in NorCal has finally afforded him the ability to feel free.

His words, not mine.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote