cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You can't say all this and not mention what calling it is you have.
I can and did. I have a firm testimony of the church, and I love the gospel, despite some of the imperfections I believe exist in the church. I see no need to bring my calling into this discussion, as it isn't relevant to anyone but me.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I can and did. I have a firm testimony of the church, and I love the gospel, despite some of the imperfections I believe exist in the church. I see no need to bring my calling into this discussion, as it isn't relevant to anyone but me.
It's relevant to the nature of how we consider your dilemma.

For example Bishop is different than Gospel Essentials teacher or Sunday School Secretary.

Dang, I wish I could offer my resignation over this. I wish the Lord would put me in that position. Win-win for me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

For example Bishop is different than Gospel Essentials teacher or Sunday School Secretary.

Dang, I wish I could offer my resignation over this. I wish the Lord would put me in that position. Win-win for me.
Yeah, I'm not sure I could get out of being cub scout den leader over this.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Why would that be any more valid than some other made up sorry excuse for an excuse?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Why? I honestly don't get it. The church brings a lot of people a lot of happiness. It doesn't bring you happiness anymore, and I get that. What I don't understand is why you would rejoice that other people are having a difficult time with an institution that forms a core part of their identity and belief system. Of what value is it to you to wish for them to be more unhappy with the church? I certainly don't sit at home feeling thrilled when another scandal breaks in the Catholic church, or when I read an article about the struggle of the Jews in Israel.

To me, it reeks of desperation. Desperation for you to feel vindicated that you made the right decision in leaving the church. You won't find vindication in the areas where you are looking, SU.
Your reply speaks volumes. Is the Church making you happy now?

"You won't find vindication in the areas where you are looking, SU." I don't distinguish between the "areas" to which I think you might be referring and the area that is the subject of this thread. I think they are of a single monolithic piece and I don't see how you cold see things otherwise.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Your reply speaks volumes. Is the Church making you happy now?

"You won't find vindication in the areas where you are looking, SU." I don't distinguish between the "areas" to which I think you might be referring and the area that is the subject of this thread. I think they are of a single monolithic piece and I don't see how you cold see things otherwise.
Yes, the church brings me a tremendous amount of happiness and satisfaction. I disagree strongly with the church on this issue, but I would disagree strongly with any organization to which I am or would be a part on some topic or other. I am an American, and I disagree passionately with much of what I see happening in America (as do you). If you are looking for perfection in an organization, we both know it will be a fruitless search. Thus, your view of the church as a "single monolithic piece" likely isn't consistent with your views of any other organization and isn't reasonable in any event.

By the way, you carefully dodged the main crux of my post, which was a question to you about why you take joy in watching others feel disappointed in an organization of which they are a part.

The church has been wrong on some weighty issues in the past. To their credit, over time they appear to get most of them right (which you certainly can't say for all organizations). A large reason they get them right is the voice of the members inside the organization who push for change.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Yes, the church brings me a tremendous amount of happiness and satisfaction. I disagree strongly with the church on this issue, but I would disagree strongly with any organization to which I am or would be a part on some topic or other. I am an American, and I disagree passionately with much of what I see happening in America (as do you). If you are looking for perfection in an organization, we both know it will be a fruitless search. Thus, your view of the church as a "single monolithic piece" likely isn't consistent with your views of any other organization and isn't reasonable in any event.

By the way, you carefully dodged the main crux of my post, which was a question to you about why you take joy in watching others feel disappointed in an organization of which they are a part.

The church has been wrong on some weighty issues in the past. To their credit, over time they appear to get most of them right (which you certainly can't say for all organizations). A large reason they get them right is the voice of the members inside the organization who push for change.
My motives are pure. I think it causes a net loss in happiness overall because it is an enemy of liberty and the examined life.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My motives are pure.
What a lying sack of
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What a lying sack of
My concerns are thousands of years old. I have Epicurus, Spinoza, Franklin, Paine, Einstein for starters on my side. Were they liars and possessing evil motive?

—Paul Auster
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My concerns are thousands of years old. I have Epicurus, Spinoza, Franklin, Paine, Einstein for starters on my side. Were they liars and possessing evil motive?
why don't you go find a a mosque or church to disrupt and leave us alone.

you classless POS.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote