cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #41
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm confused by that approach. If the Book of Mormon were the weakest part of your testimony, would the solution be to not read it?
I have serious doubt to how important it is to my salvation. I just feel my time and energy would be better spent on things I feel are more important.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:29 AM   #42
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Much of the endowment is already in the scriptures; it is like hearing a Cliffs Notes version.

For example:
And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place...
-Isaiah 22:23
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #43
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I agree that "Don't freak out" leads to exactly that. I think people are well-intentioned, but just aren't thinking about what they're saying.

My first experience was not a good one. I didn't really have a temple prep class and I'm not sure it would've helped, at least as the current prep classes are taught. The two things that would have really helped me in my first experience are:
1) Outlining the covenants we'll be making. I don't think we need to share sacred symbols or tokens, but what's the harm in discussing the covenants we make? I think it would really add to the experience if we've carefully considered and prayed about the ramifications of these beforehand.
2) Discussing the proper place and history of ritual and ordinance in worship. My first temple experience came at a time in my life when I was focused on the non-ritual aspects of our religion; the temple is a distinct departure from this.

Anyway, congrats BDB. I'm glad you've gained some strength and testimony from the experience.
When I went, my bishop did a very good job with 1 and 2. I felt I was very well prepared on those things and had a great experience. I don't see the problem in the proper situation with giving an outline of the things we covenant to do. None of those are things members haven't heard before in church anyway.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #44
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Let's face it: to the outside American observer, it is weird stuff. Even to Jews, who had a history with the temple, it would probably be weird.

We're in a strange position where any of our friends can read about it, but we can't respond or explain.
I think a Catholic mass is weird. I think contemporary evangelical christian worship with the rock music and raising arms and dancing is weird.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I felt gettting 5 seconds to consider the covenant made it less important than it should have been.

I've spent more time in my life reading spam from Nigeria than I had time to consider those covenants during my endowment before I said yes.

Covenants not carefully considered are covenants that are not very important.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I think a Catholic mass is weird. I think contemporary evangelical christian worship with the rock music and raising arms and dancing is weird.
if every Catholic dressed up in full regalia as one of those priests in the movies, and they held meetings in secret, that might be weird.

that would be the equivalent.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #47
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad you had a good experience, BDB.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #48
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I felt gettting 5 seconds to consider the covenant made it less important than it should have been.

I've spent more time in my life reading spam from Nigeria than I had time to consider those covenants during my endowment before I said yes.

Covenants not carefully considered are covenants that are not very important.
If there's one thing about the temple that bothered me, that was it right there. I kept wishing that everyone would just slow things down a bit, because I needed more time to process everything they were saying.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #49
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I don't know if you're being serious or not, but I've heard this from several people lately. I had never heard it until a couple of years ago. I don't know why I find it so funny but when you consider where the garments are all day long, well, the floor doesn't seem so bad.
Sister Bateman (as in Merrill J.'s wife, I went through in Provo) specifically told me not to toss them on the floor.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #50
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
If there's one thing about the temple that bothered me, that was it right there. I kept wishing that everyone would just slow things down a bit, because I needed more time to process everything they were saying.
BDB, I know how you feel, but trust me on this one....

go to the temple a few times.....then go for a few years........then let me know if you wished the ceremony would slow down a little.

The pace is already extremely slow, which is why you will see people falling asleep sometimes. You will pick up on the basics after even a few visits. And you will be glad that it is not even more slow.

The cool thing about the temple is that you can just go back over and over again and focus on small portions of it. I always seem to notice something new when I go.

For example......next time everyone goes, please note how prominently a COUGAR is featured in one shot during the garden sequence. There is one brief, beautiful shot in which a peaceful, law-abiding, virile cougar is shown lying down without any ire.

Then tell me exactly how many Utes are given screen time? Answer: zero. Take THAT, suckas!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote