cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

What exactly do you learn as a single unmarried person from 25-35 that then makes you a better potential spouse?

Marriages generally succeed or fail based on the selfishness/selflessness of both parties.

Hanging around another 6 or so years won't make you less selfish.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #42
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
By the way, I was 26 when I married the first time, and, yes, I was too young.
Given your cultural roots, to which I presume you had remained fairly true to that point, this explains a great deal, as you were probably suffering through much of your young adult life from DSB, a condition a more worldly colleague at the Orrick firm explained to me as "Dreaded Semen Buildup." It causes young men to make some really stupid decisions.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if we asked SU's ex, she would claim that it was she that made the really stupid decision. No doubt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #44
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What exactly do you learn as a single unmarried person from 25-35 that then makes you a better potential spouse?

Marriages generally succeed or fail based on the selfishness/selflessness of both parties.

Hanging around another 6 or so years won't make you less selfish.
I don't know so much 30-35, but I think that 25-30 is the first time most of us become financially stable for the first time (most marriages break up over money if I believe what I'm told) and when the first fully formed version of you that has some idea what he wants his life to look like emerges. I'm not sure it makes you a better spouse, it just gives you a chance to make a better choice and avoid the main issue that marriages end over.

I agree with you that selflessness is the key, along with shared values, commitment and community. I don't know too many marriages that have broken up simply because an immature selection was made by a person who reaches maturity and realizes the error. More often it is because one or both people are selfish in some way.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Incidentally, poke's question is asked in a manner that precludes giving the most important answer......love for spouse and children.

That is like asking someone....."why would anyone bother sacrificing to go to school for years and years when they could be out traveling, having fun, and doing other stuff?"......and then precluding them from giving answers such as future salary, stability, love for learning, etc...

I can ask Poke's same question to a group of non-LDS married men who waited until they were in their late 30s to get married....ask them, "be honest...how many of you feel like right now you are missing out on having sex with other women and being free to do what you want?" Of course there will always be an opportunity cost to being in a relationship. Religion and age are not relevant.

All great things require sacrifice. Marriage is no exception.

The fact that some are less prepared to make those sacrifices is an implication of the individual, not the institution.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #46
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think if we asked SU's ex, she would claim that it was she that made the really stupid decision. No doubt.
Has anyone ever invited her here?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #47
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Given your cultural roots, to which I presume you had remained fairly true to that point, this explains a great deal, as you were probably suffering through much of your young adult life from DSB, a condition a more worldly colleague at the Orrick firm explained to me as "Dreaded Semen Buildup." It causes young men to make some really stupid decisions.
I always thought it was SRH... Sperm Retention Headache
Old 07-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #48
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I was only true to my cultural roots till age 22. I think probably age 23 is the deadline for gracefully apostatizing. It should happen in college. Afterward, you're stuck.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #49
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
All great things require sacrifice. Marriage is no exception.

The fact that some are less prepared to make those sacrifices is an implication of the individual, not the institution.
Right, but lets say I want to come study at your feet and bring my family, is it better for me to start walking now or should I save up and buy plane tickets? The real question is what is the cost benefit of my impatience to get to you and learn your manifold mysteries.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Has anyone ever invited her here?
it is his greatest fear that we will one day hear her side of the story.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote