cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

according to this, sticking in an IUD within 5 days of unprotected sex is more effective than the MAP.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
This doesn't make much sense. A whole lot of waffling, and much different from your original response.
I do not oppose RU486, and do not equate with an abortion.

However, I would not tell my daughter to take RU486, but inquire as to her intentions. If she was for some reason uninformed as to the options, the day after, I would certainly make her aware of the RU486. And I see nothing in Mormon theology which would require or encourage a different result, as I see virtually no difference among the Pill, MAP or an IUD.

So Mike's argument that people would tell their daughter to take MAP is mostly erroneous and misplaced.

Most would simply inform of options and encourage based on their own predilections. The extreme pro-life stance of if a penis penetrates the vagina, then you bear the consequences is sterile and not touched much in reality. Your relatives appear more pragmatic but to the extent they breached her right of privacy by broadcasting it behaved badly.

I do not understand how we men can have strong feelings that a woman must always retain the sperm and do nothing about it. Easy for us to say, we don't have to be pregnant for nine months. Yes, we're entitled to opinions in that we're likely responsible for child support, but that's not the same.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #43
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an extraordinarily tough issue. To be perfectly honest, I think I woudl have one answer as a policy and perhaps, in the moment, a different answer for my daughter (who is 16, attractive like her mother, and has started dating [6 boys 'dropped by' yesterday!] and this whole thing makes me sweat). It is very easy to judge others and dictate what they shoudl do or say; it is anoterh thing to be faced with your child in this situation who is seeking advice and direction. To be completely honest, and while I am opposed to abortion, all I can say for sure is that if presented with this issue I would pray as hard as I could, do what I thought was best and hope it turns out.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Regular birth control pills many times do the same thing as the morning after pill. I don't have a problem with it. Why force a woman to have a child just because of a mistake she made during a night of drinking. The world already has too many mothers that are not prepared or ready to rear children. The morning after pill = birth control pill to me. I don't see the big deal.
since you seem to know a lot about the science, perhaps you can explain it with sources/links.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #45
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It is very easy to judge others and dictate what they shoudl do or say; it is anoterh thing to be faced with your child in this situation who is seeking advice and direction. To be completely honest, and while I am opposed to abortion, all I can say for sure is that if presented with this issue I would pray as hard as I could, do what I thought was best and hope it turns out.
As usual, the monkey is wise.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #46
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

First, let me say that I'm impressed that Levin's niece has the kind of relationship with her parents where she would tell them the next day that she got drunk and had unprotected sex. There is no way in hell I would have ever divulged such information to my parents.

Second, in my opinion a fertilized egg is not a baby. For you science types, how common is it for an egg to get fertilized and then not implant (without any artifical intervention)? The woman wouldn't even know this occurred as she would then just have her period as normal. I imagine for some women, it happens regularly.

That said, I still don't know if I would encourage my daughter to run out and get the MAP. Rape, no question, but for consensual sex the "easy out" for wreckless behavior seems wrong.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #47
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
since you seem to know a lot about the science, perhaps you can explain it with sources/links.
The doctors on this site have weighed in on this last time we discussed it and they provided links...do a search.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #48
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My friend's doctor told her just to take a bunch of the birth control pills she already had on hand after she had had unprotected sex.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
My friend's doctor told her just to take a bunch of the birth control pills she already had on hand after she had had unprotected sex.
that's to induce abortion. if the MAP worked the same way as oral contraceptives, then there would be no need for the MAP formulation! You would just take your oral contraceptive after sex!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The doctors on this site have weighed in on this last time we discussed it and they provided links...do a search.
No, the onus is on you. You put something forward, YOU defend it. You lazy bum.