cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

also, if you screw up real bad and you aren't Mormon, there will be no welcoming arms. Don't forget that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
When it comes to these things, PR I am talking about is the PR within the membership of the church.

Back to BYU, do you really think anyone cares or or thinks positively when BYU announces they have kicked a kid out because he had sex, consentual sex. Maybe some Islamic mullah somewhere applauds, but other than that the PR is for membership consumption.
This hasn't happened since Ronney Jenkins, Mikeli Wesley and Reno Mahe almost ten years ago.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would probably agree with you, but it is what those in charge think works. I would say 90% of LDS people are into forgiveness. Watch the sinners who recognize their sin and ask for forgiveness. They are almost rock stars at church. Why, I don't know.

Try not going to church for 6 months and then show up. See if you ever have had so many people come up to you with a huge smile and say they really glad to see you.

Most of this I believe is very sincere, but some of it is programmed into us.

On the other hand, those in charge have a dual role. They want members to feel they can sin and come back and be forgiven, they actually want them too. On the other hand they don't want members thinking at decision time that there aren't serious consequences for bad behavior.

When these issues become highly public, that is when the PR part comes in. Anyone knows PR and image plays a big role in what happens with the HC and discipline.
I think I agree with you. I don't agree with the thought that it's the leader's job to show there are consequences to bad behavior (but I don't think that's your personal opinion). The real consequences have nothing to do with excommunication.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This hasn't happened since Ronney Jenkins, Mikeli Wesley and Reno Mahe almost ten years ago.
What hasn't happened, sex? I think what you can safely say is that there hasn't been a leak about it.

Also, do you think in each of the sex scandals during the Crowton era if it hadn't gotten to the press, it wouldn't have been handled differently. Before you go off, remember all the kids who got kicked out. I believe if it had been handled internally, a lot fewer kids would have been kicked off.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #25
jay santos

Quote:
What hasn't happened, sex? I think what you can safely say is that there hasn't been a leak about it.

Also, do you think in each of the sex scandals during the Crowton era if it hadn't gotten to the press, it wouldn't have been handled differently. Before you go off, remember all the kids who got kicked out. I believe if it had been handled internally, a lot fewer kids would have been kicked off.
I don't believe consensual sex is grounds for getting kicked out of BYU anymore. No one in the athletic program has been kicked out for it in almost ten years.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't believe consensual sex is grounds for getting kicked out of BYU anymore. No one in the athletic program has been kicked out for it in almost ten years.
SexGate1 was undisputedly consensual. SexGate2 is another matter.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #27
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
SexGate1 was undisputedly consensual. SexGate2 is another matter.
I'll try again with a definition.

Consensual sex between a man and a woman where no rape allegations are made.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #28
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Try not going to church for 6 months and then show up. See if you ever have had so many people come up to you with a huge smile and say they really glad to see you.
I'm always up for a challenge and this looks like a good one.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am betting Bishops are more likely to sign continuing ecclesiastical endorsements with athletes than students. The athletes are not going to be routed through a hard-a**.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #30
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

what the players in the Crowton era got in trouble for was a wild sex party with rape allegations. That's a lot different. I know you love to beat this drum, but those players would have been kicked out at a lot of schools, not just BYU.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote