cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #41
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Yes, I am serious. During his talk the SP repeated several times that this issue is rarely discussed in a Church setting and I agree. Up until Saturday, I don't recall ever receiving messages, counsel, or direction on this subject other than your typical "husbands be considerate of your wives" or the "it is a wonderful thing when expressed between a man and woman in love and married".

What negative messages?
You don't remember the ten years of directives to avoid fornication? The appeals to guilt? The rumors about the effects of self-stimulation? Being reminded to rid oneself of lust? The value of modesty? Our body is not our own, but a living temple?

There's an implicit message there that is very hard to get past, even well into marriage.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #42
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You don't remember the ten years of directives to avoid fornication? The appeals to guilt? The rumors about the effects of self-stimulation? Being reminded to rid oneself of lust? The value of modesty? Our body is not our own, but a living temple?

There's an implicit message there that is very hard to get past, even well into marriage.
Of course, how could I have missed that message?
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #43
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

How different is a LDS couples sex life from a non LDS couples sex life? My guess is they are not all that different. I think it's just a female/male difference. Females have just short of a million things going through their heads and the desire to have sex gets jumbled up in that mess while guys can focus on one thing and sex just happens to be top of the list.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #44
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Avoiding fornication, lust, and immodesty is considered "negative messaging"? Heh, who knew.

I suppose that makes Jesus and Paul guilty too, and for a lot longer than some measly 20-40 years.

Damn, it's amazing any Christian has sex anymore. And where the heck are all these kids coming from?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #45
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought you weren't Mormon.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #46
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just a bit of unsolicited advice: I'd cut the conversations off first thing. Nothing positive can come from having these discussions with a married woman at work.
I don't think the fact that she's married is as pertinent as the fact that he's married.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #47
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just a bit of unsolicited advice: I'd cut the conversations off first thing. Nothing positive can come from having these discussions with a married woman at work.
Agreed, although I think I've misled you about the relationship here. I mentioned the age thing because the rest of the guys in the group are almost our fathers' age, which is why she was bringing it up with me and not with anyone else. We're friends, but there's absolutely no attraction. I brought up the conversation with my wife (as I was curious what a woman would say to this). So I think we're pretty safe.

FWIW, the subject hasn't come up again since.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #48
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Agreed, although I think I've misled you about the relationship here. I mentioned the age thing because the rest of the guys in the group are almost our fathers' age, which is why she was bringing it up with me and not with anyone else. We're friends, but there's absolutely no attraction. I brought up the conversation with my wife (as I was curious what a woman would say to this). So I think we're pretty safe.
Apologies. I didn't mean to imply anything other than exactly what I said. I was just offering my two cents.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #49
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
I don't think the fact that she's married is as pertinent as the fact that he's married.
I wasn't sure on that front.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #50
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
How different is a LDS couples sex life from a non LDS couples sex life? My guess is they are not all that different. I think it's just a female/male difference. Females have just short of a million things going through their heads and the desire to have sex gets jumbled up in that mess while guys can focus on one thing and sex just happens to be top of the list.
Speaking as one who's single and dated LDS and Non-LDS alike...I can tell you that the attitudes and the guilt syndrome ingrained....that there are worlds of difference.

A lot of the Non-LDS gals I've been out with seem to have much healthier attitudes towards sex in general....well so far as I've noticed anyway.