cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I agree that both were inappropriate IMO.
As a pig rolling in the mud, almost nothing is beneath me. It should be, but unfortunately, it's not.

Rocky's constant desire to "tell it like it is" is tolerable, but his constant judging of other people, when he has no abilities to judge the heart and minds of another, brings out the worst in me from time to time.

Fundamentalistic reductionism has no room for discussion with another.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-19-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #42
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping that if Packer were to become President he would pull a Benson and mellow out a bit. I hear though that as a person he is very friendly and gentle -- doesn't come off as as much of a hard liner.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #43
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
He went to school with my grandfather Boyd did. I seen firesides and a regional conference were he had a dry sense of humor. I don't know if he will outlive Tom to become prophet. I knew people that dealt with him and said he would walk off when they went to shake his hand. Kind of stuck up at high school reunions and the like. But is a stickler for rules I heard. Why he is a lightning rod for the discontent. I like what Boyd said when Dave was first called to quorom. Mentioned young age. Said I was young too. You'll soon get over that.
Boyd? Tom? Dave?

You kill me sometimes, grape.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #44
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Boyd? Tom? Dave?

But Steve Young, Chad Lewis and Andy Reid get the Elder treatment.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #45
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Boyd? Tom? Dave?

Somehow, the thought of the Brethren calling each other by first name in a meeting just puts a smile on my face.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:24 AM   #46
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
He went to school with my grandfather Boyd did. I seen firesides and a regional conference were he had a dry sense of humor. I don't know if he will outlive Tom to become prophet. I knew people that dealt with him and said he would walk off when they went to shake his hand. Kind of stuck up at high school reunions and the like. But is a stickler for rules I heard. Why he is a lightning rod for the discontent. I like what Boyd said when Dave was first called to quorom. Mentioned young age. Said I was young too. You'll soon get over that.
Thanks for not eating me witches.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 AM   #47
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He may not even be able to tell the difference between Beethoven and Mozart.
That's an easy one. Beethoven was the blind one, and Mozart was the crazy one.

I hate it when I'm so late with the joke it's not funny anymore.

I have to go fix my shrine. My son knocked over my Boyd K. Packer statue.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
That's an easy one. Beethoven was the blind one, and Mozart was the crazy one.

I hate it when I'm so late with the joke it's not funny anymore.

I have to go fix my shrine. My son knocked over my Boyd K. Packer statue.
Ummmm, I think Beethoven was deaf, not blind.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #49
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Rocky, given the challenges you've had with your membership, whereas the many of us you consider apostates who have never had problems with our memberships, please explain the sense of arrogance.

If our testimonies are strong enough that our memberships have not been challenged, why are you arrogant enough to believe your testimony which has allowed you to do things compromising your membership?

You go a long ways toward lecturing those of us with curious minds. You have no idea how another functions, just as I have no idea how you function. Apparently, judging you from your words, you probably idolize these men, not recognizing them for what they are, fallible men with authority to make decisions for the Church organization. None of us question any of the Apostles' authority to govern the Church. They have it, and we don't want it.

However, being curious, we examine matters. If you're not curious, fine. But be forewarned, judging another's testimony is pure BS, calling like we see it.
You make more assumptions than a homo at an Asshole convention.

You're allowed to challenge a Special Witness of Christ, but yet I'm not allowed to challenge you and your testimony. Or rather you don't like the manner in which I do it. Too bad for you, cause when you post most of the time my bullshit meter goes off and then you whine like an impotent piss ant when you get called on the carpet for it.

At this point in your life if you're actually asking someone to point out your arrogance to you and I guarantee I'm not the first you've asked to do so and you know as well as I do and everyone else does that no matter what I said or how I say it you'll manufacture yet another fake bullshit response to it. I'll re-iterate in saying that I don't give a damn if you like my viewpoint and how I express them. I really don't. Unlike you I've always been open about where I stand, why I stand and who I stand for. I'm open admittedly to a fault about my mistakes I've made in my life in spite of my testimony and you mocking those mistakes is fine with me but there in lies the difference between someone honest and real like me and someone who's lived a hollow and fake life like you, wishing that he were SeattleUte but not having the balls to be like someone like him. I will continue to call you on your bullshit when I see it and if you don't like it then simply hit the ignore button.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-20-2007 at 06:37 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #50
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I'm not sure the Special Witnesses of Christ would approve of the way you're going about this one, Rocky.

Look, you want to call it as you see it, that's fine. Non Sequitur certainly does a lot of that, but he manages to do it in a way that both expresses his point of view and does not mock our views. Heck, I even manage to learn from him from time to time.

The only problem with your approach is that you don't care at all how others take what you say. What purpose do you have in saying it, if you are not trying to encourage others to lead a better life? I think it is very helpful to have somebody who can call us out when we're off track, for whatever reason, but if you can't do it in the spirit of brotherhood and the interest of mutual benefit, you're not doing any good for yourself or anybody else here.

I think you've got an important message, but it's getting lost amongst the fire and vitrol. Don't do that to yourself.