cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Lady Cougars
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2022, 04:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Duke volleyball racist slur

Might be the first time ever BYU women have made the front page of ESPN.

I have not been able to comment on CB because of the moderation and the limits on my account.

We have no reason to disbelieve the Duke player's account. I would assume it is true. Although it would be nice to have some confirmation that others heard it. Is that the case? The quality of journalism in America is so low, that one can hardly expect any legwork to actually occur.

However let's imagine a scenario where BYU officials did legwork, and every student in the student section claims that they didn't hear the use of a slur. I don't think BYU would try to go against the allegation, because that would just raise the issue again in the national media. Best to remediate and have it go away. The scenario of a false accusation is unlikely though.

People forget how isolated the upper Western US is. I had a BYU classmate that claimed she had never spoken to a black person in her life. She was from rural Washington. That kind of blew my mind.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Might be the first time ever BYU women have made the front page of ESPN.

I have not been able to comment on CB because of the moderation and the limits on my account.
I'll tell you what's a Cougarboard. A bunch of conservative white males deflecting, talking about the victim's godmother as some anti-white racist (may be true but irrelevant; we know what the victim's claim is). Looking for every reason to discredit her, calling for Holmoe's head.

Quote:
We have no reason to disbelieve the Duke player's account. I would assume it is true. Although it would be nice to have some confirmation that others heard it. Is that the case? The quality of journalism in America is so low, that one can hardly expect any legwork to actually occur.

However let's imagine a scenario where BYU officials did legwork, and every student in the student section claims that they didn't hear the use of a slur. I don't think BYU would try to go against the allegation, because that would just raise the issue again in the national media. Best to remediate and have it go away. The scenario of a false accusation is unlikely though.

People forget how isolated the upper Western US is. I had a BYU classmate that claimed she had never spoken to a black person in her life. She was from rural Washington. That kind of blew my mind.
I think BYU handled it appropriately. Demonstrate a seriousness about solving the racism problem first, take her word, but continue to investigate.

Half of CB believes she just made it up. A bunch of rednecks scared about losing power and status, about being replaced.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you believe the Duke player made up the claim whole cloth?

109 (48%)
Yes
118 (52%)
No
Old 08-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Sltrib article saying that it appears that the person accused is innocent. Video evidence shows no evidence of him speaking out loud while she is serving.

And so far it appears that there is no video/audio evidence of any slur.

So we have the accusation that the crowd and the admin did nothing, but also zero corroboration from a non-Duke source that any slur occurred at all.

Strange to me that multiple people from Duke heard it, but no one else.

Could it have been spoken at a volume where only the person serving heard it? Possibly. Noisy environment. But I think the accusation is that it was loud and obvious to everyone.

Something doesn't add up here. If I was in the audience and I heard the slur, yes, I would make report to the AD office that I heard it.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It is possible that the player is truthful (believes she heard it), but it did not in fact happen in reality.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:51 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Now South Carolina has canceled their basketball series with BYU women?s basketball.

Again, as far as I know there is zero evidence, other than Duke, that the slur even occurred. And now proof that the person they accused of saying slurs, never said anything.

What a world we live in. Racism is terrible. And so is making false charges of racism. It?s too bad we can?t get to the bottom of this yet.

I have a hard time believing that the slur was heard across the whole gym ?and the crowd and officials did nothing? to paraphrase the charges. Yet there is zero evidence it occurred, and not a single witness to corroborate.

And yet, now BYU must be canceled. This may just build and build.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
jadesroom

jadesroom is on a distinguished road
Default Racism Has Won

Racism by a bigoted godmother who has since set her Twitter account to private once her past racist comments about whites and Asians came to light.

Racism by a bigoted South Carolina coach who has her own racist problems:

https://sports.yahoo.com/missouri-ad...042936476.html
jadesroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:32 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's very interesting how this has played out. There were a couple of threads on the Texags message board (politics section) - very conservative there - that were very anti-Duke pro-BYU about this. Although typically they have zero love for BYU/Mormons. It became an issue that resonated with the right-wing further than perhaps some of us have realized.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:07 PM   #9
jadesroom

jadesroom is on a distinguished road
Default The True Victim

is not the accuser:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...n-temporarily/
jadesroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The article didn't say how it impacted him, to be accused.