cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #21
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Personally, we don't have that problem because the cat is mostly indoors and when its outside it doesn't dig up stuff in the neighbor's property -- barely strays from our yard at all.

However, there are much more humane ways of training a cat to stay out of somewhere -- for example they hate water -- so spray 'em a few times with a hose and they'll learn. I am sure if your dad tried he could find other means. As I mentioned if the cat is semi-feral, just roams around all day and night, and has set this as his territory, etc, I can see how it could become a greater nuiscanc, and maybe is not so endearing to its owner, either. Why not, at least once, trap the cat, bring it to the owner and give a warning that next time its going to the pound or the countryside?
Dude, come on. Do you really think that the cat is going to stay put so that my 64 year old father with bad knees can drag the hose over to it and squirt it in the face? And I'm not sure how many times he warned the lady that he was going to take action, but from what my mom had said, it was a few.

I really don't know what I would have done if I was in his shoes. Most likely it would have been something like you suggested, trapping the cat and telling it's owner if she gives me 100 bucks to pay for all the plants it's destroyed, she could have it back.

But of course, it's not me that has spent hundreds of hours improving my property only to have an animal whose owner is a careless dipshit rip it up all the time. So I can't say for sure.

I guess it just comes down to people that have the balls to stand up for themselves, and those that don't.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Dude, come on. Do you really think that the cat is going to stay put so that my 64 year old father with bad knees can drag the hose over to it and squirt it in the face? And I'm not sure how many times he warned the lady that he was going to take action, but from what my mom had said, it was a few.

I really don't know what I would have done if I was in his shoes. Most likely it would have been something like you suggested, trapping the cat and telling it's owner if she gives me 100 bucks to pay for all the plants it's destroyed, she could have it back.

But of course, it's not me that has spent hundreds of hours improving my property only to have an animal whose owner is a careless dipshit rip it up all the time. So I can't say for sure.

I guess it just comes down to people that have the balls to stand up for themselves, and those that don't.
Takes a lot of balls to stand up to a cat. LOL.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Takes a lot of balls to stand up to a cat. *sniffle* *sniffle* (wipes nose)
Can I get you a Kleenex?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Can I get you a Kleenex?

Yeah, if you had bad knees, I could see why this is intimidating.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #25
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Yeah, if you had bad knees, I could see why this is intimidating.
Speaking of intimidating, I just read that you're going to break my nose. When's that going to happen, so I can get the day off work?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Actually I did break a guy's nose at work not that long ago.

I suppose I do have the capability.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

A good case can be made that pet cats should not be outside unsupervised. Our neighborhood is a textbook example of why not.

First of all, irresponsible pet owners do not get their cats spayed or neutered. It's a real minority that actually do. So, our neighborhood has scores of feral cats who live in the drainpipes and emerge at night to fight, spray, and otherwise annoy me. These cats can be dangerous to children and can spread disease.

Second, when about 3/4 homes have a cat and that cat is outside most of the day there is a very unnatural predator/prey balance. There are NO small birds in my neighborhood. None. Cats love to kill birds and they do it with startling efficiency. The only birds that live anywhere near my home are the kind who stay high in the trees or are quite large (blue jays).

I know that part of the allure of cat ownership is the fact that you can kick their butt outside and they are self sufficient. But I think it has consequences for the natural balance of wildlife. I wish cat owners would keep their cats indoors or supervised.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #28
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
A good case can be made that pet cats should not be outside unsupervised. Our neighborhood is a textbook example of why not.

First of all, irresponsible pet owners do not get their cats spayed or neutered. It's a real minority that actually do. So, our neighborhood has scores of feral cats who live in the drainpipes and emerge at night to fight, spray, and otherwise annoy me. These cats can be dangerous to children and can spread disease.

Second, when about 3/4 homes have a cat and that cat is outside most of the day there is a very unnatural predator/prey balance. There are NO small birds in my neighborhood. None. Cats love to kill birds and they do it with startling efficiency. The only birds that live anywhere near my home are the kind who stay high in the trees or are quite large (blue jays).

I know that part of the allure of cat ownership is the fact that you can kick their butt outside and they are self sufficient. But I think it has consequences for the natural balance of wildlife. I wish cat owners would keep their cats indoors or supervised.
Thoughts:
1) there was probably a reason why Minnesota (?) established a hunting season on cats that have become wild, feral, semi-feral, semi-ferrous, whatever;
2) This is hilarious. I'd pay money to see a nose breaking fest between Runner Coug and MW. (Sorry Mike...my money would have to go to RC, unless of course, we can establish that you have "cat-like" reflexes and could go "cougar" at the drop of a hat!)

One last thing, Mike...I would like a ruling on how you broke your co-workers nose? Blatant violent reaction or throwing an elbow at the lunchtime b-ball pick up game? Can we get a ruling on this before the brawl odds are established?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

RC in his halter top and running shorts scared the hell out of me. But not as bad as that cat did.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The part that I am disappointed about, is RC has not regaled with other stories about his father, after I suggested that this was the tip of the iceberg.

I'm sure there are A LOT of stories there. Lawyers here, is the reference guide for statute of limitations that RC can glance through before storytime?