cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you purposefully killed someone else's pet dog or cat?
yes 1 3.23%
no 30 96.77%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Oh yeah. He was nuts. And his family had a lot of guns. Choosing the 20 gauge was extra cruel. There wasn't anything left but fluff, since he shot it at a distance of about 18 inches.

It was my friend's older brother, not an adult at the time (or maybe 18 years old, but you get the point). I know he ended up getting treated for severe psychiatric problems, and I believe he was institutionalized at one point. Sad.
Other than fish, and indirectly through eating of flesh, I have not killed any animal, though I don't oppose hunting, I just was never very fortunate.

But the act of killing a pet which wasn't endangering you is mind boggling. We had a lizard that my staff accidentally killed by leaving a heat lamp on, and the loss of that life troubled me. Perhaps I'm but a wuss, but the harming of animals is something I am unable to comprehend. This may affect my manquotient, but so be it.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #42
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Other than fish, and indirectly through eating of flesh, I have not killed any animal, though I don't oppose hunting, I just was never very fortunate.

But the act of killing a pet which wasn't endangering you is mind boggling. We had a lizard that my staff accidentally killed by leaving a heat lamp on, and the loss of that life troubled me. Perhaps I'm but a wuss, but the harming of animals is something I am unable to comprehend. This may affect my manquotient, but so be it.
Nothing wussy about it.

When I get to hell, there are going to be about 1200 potguts waiting for me, still angry that I killed them on the Wyoming prairie when I was 14 years old. Sure, the old rancher was going to poison them anyway, but I still feel bad about it.

I used to hunt a lot and enjoyed it, but hunting's different than just killing.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #43
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

WHen I was in high school a kid a year younger than me killed a cat in an almost unspeakbly cruel way (I was going to describe it, but just trust me on this). I was convinced he would end up being a mass murderer or a criminal of some sort. Years later I was visiting home and ran into another old firend and we began to catch up on HS days. He asked if I had heard what had happened to the cat murderer. I said no, and expected to ehar a tale of criminal acts. Instead, he told me the guy had just been elected as mayor of a then semi0rural town not far from SLC. Weird.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Creek, don't mean he is a respectable person when people aren't watching. We can go down the list and look at mayors and city councilmen.

I don't think every animal torturer ends up messed up. But it certainly is a predictor of it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #45
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Creek, don't mean he is a respectable person when people aren't watching. We can go down the list and look at mayors and city councilmen.

I don't think every animal torturer ends up messed up. But it certainly is a predictor of it.

I agree completely that itis a predictor. By all accounts, however, this fellow has lived a very exemplart life. The story is only notable to me becasue I think it is an aberration.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I agree completely that itis a predictor. By all accounts, however, this fellow has lived a very exemplart life. The story is only notable to me becasue I think it is an aberration.
If one were hunting deviancy, he would be a good person to look for it.

His position of power gives him more access to the powerless.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 AM   #47
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

When I was 6, I caught my pets. One day, I came home with a new turtle and frog, which I put together in a goldfish bowl. The next morning, Frog's leg was hanging out of Turtle's mouth, with no other signs of him. Gruesome.

After getting married, my wife bought a cat. We went out of town on vacation, and left the cat with my in-laws (SoCal) with instructions to not let it out of the house (we had paid to have it declawed). They let it out, and a teenage neighbor thought it would be fun to hit it with a bat. Sick. Of course he killed it. I was pretty pissed, but never found out which teenager did it. My wife cried for a week (this was before we had kids).
Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Mars, this is the Serengetti plain, and you and your loved ones are not the predators. You are the prey. As are myself and my family.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #49
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

My FIL was in the backyard today shooting magpies with his pellet gun.

I watched him kill one....at first, it looked like it exploded in mid-air, feathers flew a bit, then the bird fell down with a small thud.

I went inside, grossed out.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote