cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Try brushing your teeth once in a while!

I have no room to talk, I have 4 or 5 crowns myself. My advice would be to request some serious painkillers. One of my crowns replaced a deep filling and it hurt for about six months after I got the crown. It takes a while for the nerve to settle down.
For the record I'm a nazi about oral hygiene, I shudder to think what might happen to them if I wasn't.

I just got back from the dentist. He drilled a little thinking he might be able to get away with just redoing the filling, but no. It's a root canal situation, however the roots on the tooth are curled, so he can't do it and had to give me an emergency referral to an endodontist for tomorrow. My wisdom teeth were also curled at the ends and I have not yet forgotten the misery that ensued after their removal, or the panic over the "high-probability for nerve damage." So I'm not feeling really great about any of this right now. Not to mention the fact that I have to get two shots of that novacaine to get numb, and then it numbs up half my face and my tongue so that I talk like a deaf person (my co-workers think it's hilarious). However, I'm trying to be grateful for it because he said that there's a good chance I'll be in a significant amount of pain when it wears off. So he gave me a prescription for codine I think (no idea, I've never take the painkillers anyway, the freak me out). I also am starving, haven't eaten anything yet today, and I'm not allowed to eat until the novacaine wears off, and then only chewing with the unafflicted side of my mouth to avoid accidentally dislodging the temporary filling. He recommended that regardless of how much pain I'm in tonight that I still try and eat a lot because I probably won't be able to eat at all tomorrow, and it could be a while before I'll be prepared to do much eating after that as well. All you weight loss people...I have the perfect diet for you.

Anyway, I'm done whining now, and just crossing my fingers that this goes more smoothly tomorrow than my wisdom teeth did.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

ask your boyfriend to blend some food for you. if he loves you, he will do it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
ask your boyfriend to blend some food for you. if he loves you, he will do it.
A. He's not my boyfriend.
B. It's long distance he lives up north.
C. I'm supposed to fly out Friday to go see him, and I want to cancel my flights and stay home, instead of going up there to inflict him with my drama.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
A. He's not my boyfriend.
B. It's long distance he lives up north.
C. I'm supposed to fly out Friday to go see him, and I want to cancel my flights and stay home, instead of going up there to inflict him with my drama.
you should still go. remember, you are practicing sharing and allowing yourself to be vulnerable. don't assume he wouldn't want to be with you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
For the record I'm a nazi about oral hygiene, I shudder to think what might happen to them if I wasn't.

I just got back from the dentist. He drilled a little thinking he might be able to get away with just redoing the filling, but no. It's a root canal situation, however the roots on the tooth are curled, so he can't do it and had to give me an emergency referral to an endodontist for tomorrow. My wisdom teeth were also curled at the ends and I have not yet forgotten the misery that ensued after their removal, or the panic over the "high-probability for nerve damage." So I'm not feeling really great about any of this right now. Not to mention the fact that I have to get two shots of that novacaine to get numb, and then it numbs up half my face and my tongue so that I talk like a deaf person (my co-workers think it's hilarious). However, I'm trying to be grateful for it because he said that there's a good chance I'll be in a significant amount of pain when it wears off. So he gave me a prescription for codine I think (no idea, I've never take the painkillers anyway, the freak me out). I also am starving, haven't eaten anything yet today, and I'm not allowed to eat until the novacaine wears off, and then only chewing with the unafflicted side of my mouth to avoid accidentally dislodging the temporary filling. He recommended that regardless of how much pain I'm in tonight that I still try and eat a lot because I probably won't be able to eat at all tomorrow, and it could be a while before I'll be prepared to do much eating after that as well. All you weight loss people...I have the perfect diet for you.

Anyway, I'm done whining now, and just crossing my fingers that this goes more smoothly tomorrow than my wisdom teeth did.
I actually had a situation similar to yours...but you have just saved yourself a few months/years of misery and pain.

I chipped a molar a while back and when I got around to getting it fixed, my dentist put a crown on it (not cheap mind you) and said I'd be good to go. About a year later, I returned to inform my dentist that my back molar had been causing me severe pain and it was ultra sensitive. She sent me in for a root canal on the back tooth.

The endontist I saw told me that the back tooth was fine and that it was my crowned tooth that was the problem...that the crowned molar, not the far back molar needed the root canal.

I was pretty nervous at first, but after a few days of soreness and sensitive chewing, everything was back to normal.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #16
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Unless she is a woman, or a Ute.
Talk about an intolerable situation...is there anything worse?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a root canal done about 2 years ago, i had the tooth filled and never got it crowned, about a year later it broke. So i went in they shaved my tooth down to nothing and crowned my tooth with some gold bling. It didnt hurt at all, they did give me a temporary crown and send off for the permanent one. My crown looks tight, i can chew with no discomfort, and the ladies love it.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I actually had a situation similar to yours...but you have just saved yourself a few months/years of misery and pain.

I chipped a molar a while back and when I got around to getting it fixed, my dentist put a crown on it (not cheap mind you) and said I'd be good to go. About a year later, I returned to inform my dentist that my back molar had been causing me severe pain and it was ultra sensitive. She sent me in for a root canal on the back tooth.

The endontist I saw told me that the back tooth was fine and that it was my crowned tooth that was the problem...that the crowned molar, not the far back molar needed the root canal.

I was pretty nervous at first, but after a few days of soreness and sensitive chewing, everything was back to normal.

Good luck!
By a few days do you mean a week? Three days? What about the temporary crown? Did it still hurt while you had the temporary crown? How bad did it hurt? Like will I be able to eat food with the temporary crown?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #19
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
i had a root canal done about 2 years ago, i had the tooth filled and never got it crowned, about a year later it broke. So i went in they shaved my tooth down to nothing and crowned my tooth with some gold bling. It didnt hurt at all, they did give me a temporary crown and send off for the permanent one. My crown looks tight, i can chew with no discomfort, and the ladies love it.
I'll have to consult more with my dad but he's saying that he thinks he's going to make me a gold crown too because it's the very back tooth and the gold crown will last the longest. Ladies might love it, but I don't think that bling in a girls mouth is very alluring.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #20
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you should still go. remember, you are practicing sharing and allowing yourself to be vulnerable. don't assume he wouldn't want to be with you.
I'm not a very nice person when I get hungry and/or tired. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's not going to want to spend his weekend with me while I'm in a long-term state of hunger.