cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default If you had to pick another team

Let's say for some bizarre reason your favorite team is either wiped from the face of the earth or perhaps (as is more likely in certain cases) handed the death penalty from the NCAA...

Would you pick a new team just for the sake of following college athletics? Which one?

If I wanted a rough equivalent I'd go with Alabama, I think. After all, I could still wear crimson and spend my time wondering which NCAA infractions are going to creep up next. ha! Anyhow, with all their tradition and such I've always rather liked the Tide.

My other choice would probably be Washington. I don't know...maybe it's the purple...I've always had a heart for the Huskies. (Incidentally, they've got a killer schedule this year. I'm curious to see how the first five games play out.)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd go celibate.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd pick michigan (the other school to which I am an alum) but it wouldn't be the same. I didn't grow up going to michigan games.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Let's say for some bizarre reason your favorite team is either wiped from the face of the earth or perhaps (as is more likely in certain cases) handed the death penalty from the NCAA...

Would you pick a new team just for the sake of following college athletics? Which one?

If I wanted a rough equivalent I'd go with Alabama, I think. After all, I could still wear crimson and spend my time wondering which NCAA infractions are going to creep up next. ha! Anyhow, with all their tradition and such I've always rather liked the Tide.

My other choice would probably be Washington. I don't know...maybe it's the purple...I've always had a heart for the Huskies. (Incidentally, they've got a killer schedule this year. I'm curious to see how the first five games play out.)
BYU did actually scratch the football program back in 1920-1922 I believe. It was supposedly over an incident in a city league game in Salt Lake where a player got killed in a spearing incident. There were certain members of the church leadership at the time that felt that football was too riotous, and the program was scrapped. If anything like that ever happened again I would blame that stupid yewt Samuelson (it's kind of refreshing to be able to say that with out fear of the moderators retaliating). Maybe this makes me a weak person, but I actually think I might have a harder time sustaining the brethren if they did something like that.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'd stop paying much attention. I might watch a game here or there, but my interest level overall would drop like a rock. The same would be true if BYU somehow ended up in a lower division. That's one reason why I think the BCS is so dangerous to the good of college sports. Only half the country has a local BCS team, so if they succeeded in separating themselves into their own elite division I think you wipe out a lot of fans.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Go Marist!

Red Foxes, baby.

Sure, it's Division IAA football, but at least they have a playoff to find a legitimate champion.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'd probably pick a Non-BCS School. I like rooting for the underdog.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
If anything like that ever happened again I would blame that stupid yewt Samuelson (it's kind of refreshing to be able to say that with out fear of the moderators retaliating).
Here, it doesn't count if you say yewt. You have to say the real word...

TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I am insulted that BYU would not be your next team. For all the time you spend here...

If I had to pick another team, I'm not sure who I would pick. I would probably be a luke-warm follower of the sport, maybe watch a local team (I'd pick Weber over the U right now, although I'd probably warm up to the U) and go from there.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I am insulted that BYU would not be your next team. For all the time you spend here...
I was wondering if anyone would bring that up.

I really wanted to stay in the BCS, if it's all the same to you.

That said, I believe there's a ticket to the BYU-Tulsa game with my name on it. I'm considering wearing blue.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote