cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much food storage do you have?
None. That's for paranoid folks. 7 17.07%
None. My Mormon freinds/neighbors will feed me. 2 4.88%
Less than 3 months worth 21 51.22%
3-6 months worth. 7 17.07%
1 year of food 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Are you suggesting that I have somehow said that is not what we should do?
link?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Regardless of how the question is worded, I have no food storage.

I do have HDTVs.

I get way more use out of those than I would out of food storage.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Less than three months. I have a 72-hour emergency kit, and enough food in the pantry to last about a month.

I'm considering starting on it, but I just don't have a lot of drive right now to spend the money on it.

On a related issue, we've paid off 75% of our debt in the last two years, and should be down to just the mortgage by the end of this year.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Spaz, although prices have gone up, it really isn't all that costly to get things going.

My parents ward/stake put together a big group order of wheat, beans, and other grains and stuff. I think you can also buy such stores from the church itself, depending on your area.

If you wanted, you could propably organize a group order yourself.

If food shipments stopped, in most cities, all food would be gone in a week. That's how tenuous the supply chain is.

I'm pretty prepared I think. Besides anti-Mormons, also on the bottom of my list of people to help would be Mormons who bragged that they do not have any food storage, while at the same time have lots fo money. I think I might offer to take in their kids, but I would put the parents on the bottom of the list. The kids didn't choose their parents.

The fact is that the prophets have spoken, but very few Saints have listened on this topic. The time is now.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Spaz, although prices have gone up, it really isn't all that costly to get things going.

My parents ward/stake put together a big group order of wheat, beans, and other grains and stuff. I think you can also buy such stores from the church itself, depending on your area.

If food shipments stopped, in most cities, all food would be gone in a week. That's how tenuous the supply chain is.

I'm pretty prepared I think. Besides anti-Mormons, also on the bottom of my list of people to help would be Mormons who bragged that they do not have any food storage, while at the same time have lots fo money. I think I might offer to take in their kids, but I would put the parents on the bottom of the list. The kids didn't choose their parents.

The fact is that the prophets have spoken, but very few Saints have listened on this topic. The time is now.
The prophet said to plant a garden.

I haven't done that yet, either.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My dream calling is Emergency Preparedness Coordinator.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

In all honesty, you sound like you would do a good job at it.

In my experience, that is a calling that most people do nothing with.

We had one good Emergency Coordinator. He broke the ward up into Zones, once a month we would practice our Phone Tree and make actual calls to everyone in our Zones, and he also helped a bunch of people get their HAM radio certifications. It was pretty impressive.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #28
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"If I'm dead .... You will have been dead for weeks"
Mike Waters or Dwight Schrute
Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #29
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

It's been heavy on my mind lately, so I think I'll get a move on it. We're not wealthy enough to just go out and get a year's supply right now (nor do I think the church wants those in our position to compromise our finances by doing so), but I think we can work on building up the supply a little bit at a time. My older brother moved a few years ago, and when he got to his new house he simply spent a few thousand dollars and had an immediate one-year supply.

My parents have enough to feed all the family in the area (Utah) for some time, so I'm not completely unprepared.

I have a very good-sized crawlspace in my house. It's perfectly designed for food storage, so I've got some room for it.

The hardest part, IMO, will be the water. I really don't want millions of soda bottles stashed in my basement, but I also HATE spending money on something that's free....

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Food: I don't know how big your family is, but you could get decent food storage going for $700. I spent something like $500 for a years supply (but prices have gone up).

Water: you don't need a year's supply of water.

I have 4 55gal plastic drums that were previously used to hold vinegar. That's enough for a little while. In the meantime, I also have a water purifier. I also know how to boil water. Water is the least of your concerns. Focus on the food.