cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Other than Martha, how many of his children exhibited weird tendencies?

You appear informed on this matter, but I am not.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #32
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Martha's really the only one. The rest of their children united in their support of their father and their condemnation of Martha's statements.

There's really no need to be critical of the man as a father-- that's none of our business.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #33
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

Zulu:

What kind of surgeon are you?

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451
Sleepy: Unfortunately, I don't have the time to respond to all of your points, and you make several good ones that I do agree with. I am very close with someone who has been in CES for a long time and have frequently discussed points such as those that you raise.

The line between priestcraft and a sincere desire to help other people and strengthen their testimony can be very thin at times. I think that it can really be intoxicating seeing people come to a class just to see and hear you espouse your knowledge of the gospel (or lack thereof). As a surgeon, it is intoxicating to see a patient to well after you whack there belly open and remove that which ails them.

Are there people in CES who fall into the trap of being more in love with their followings, and their next book signings? Oh yeah! Do these guys bear striking resemblances to the suck ups that were made AP's just because they convinced more people to get baptized in a month than anyone else....Oh yeah!

You make interesting comments on the curriculum. What a teacher has to remember is that, unfortunately, the curriculum has to be standardized. This is the same curriculum that is taught around the world, to new members in Nigeria as well as the born, bred and reared along the wasatch front. What is needed is helping people learn how to teach! The manuals are mere guidelines, and that is it. It is a poorly prepared teacher that goes straight from the manual (yes, I am guilty of this when I am post call on sunday). The gospel has to be presented in a standardized fashion, or else you will get too much personal bias and interpretation and risk diluting the truths.

On a side note, nothing irks me more than when people from Utah visit our ward and feel that it is their responsibility to hijack a GD lesson and teach us lesser members out in the mission field what the real gospel is. (do you sense my cynacism towards people like that?)

Sleepy, we agree much more than we disagree.

"I've met many of them. I did acknowledge in my original post that there are some sane and competent people in CES, but that they are embattled. Your comments have confirmed my view."

To this statement.... I agree.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote